Coolwall Nov 2010 - Campagnolo MTB groupsets

Coolwall Nov 2010 - Campagnolo MTB groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Campag on a Mountain Bike was never cool. Too soft. On a road bike no question, the coolest kit in the world.

Even (don't shoot me) XT was cooler on a MTB. It's all about functionality on a MTB not finesse & beauty.

C001.jpg

" I don't want to be member of a club that will accept me as a member"
Groucho Marx

Some things are too cool to be touched.

cinderey":28ubhxdk said:
Even (don't shoot me) XT was cooler on a MTB.

And just what's wrong with XT? M73X series XT is arguably the best and coolest MTB groupset ever made!

dbmtb":1ingbvye said:
But too expensive for what it was - but since when has this been a parameter for cool?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OH MY GOD!

Brilliant sarcasm. Everyting we like that is 'cool' on here is too expensive for what it is.

CNC mechs spring to mind.

But seriously, I love the look of Campagnolo equipment, I have some Athena Hubs on a road bike which are as smooth as silk after 16 years and have NEVER been re built or adjusted.

However I am running a shimano spaced Mailllard block and Ultegra STI with them as it works so much better.

If this was a road forum it would be cool, the functionality would not register (Delta's vs Dual Pivots for example).

But for me, off road, Shimano has it.

Campagnolo cool? Non. Not when you are have just smacked you balls on the top tube after having the bare faced cheek and affrontery to try and CHANGE GEAR whilst climbing!

Stick Legs":jd3griio said:
just smacked you balls on the top tube after having the bare faced cheek and affrontery to try and CHANGE GEAR whilst climbing!

:LOL:

i agree with some of what has been written on both sides. i like campag on the road, i have 3 road bikes with various record groups and a cross bike with mostly 8speed record gearset.

i don't like the cheaper campag mtb gear at all, it looked poo and it functioned the same.

so i am making my decision based on Record OR only.

the first time i saw it was on Justin loretz's dog's bolx, he'd changed various bits out BECAUSE they didn't work, i didn't care it still looked awesome. then i saw it on Isla's bike which i thought really suited it, also i seem to remember that team Raleigh used it for 1 season (only 1 mind! which tells a story!)

so basically i agree that record OR looked awesome but functioned badly but does it's rarity and looks give it enough kudos to be cool? :?

yes.

:cool:

Ok, i've never ridden a bike with a Campy setup, but i've always gone ooooooh when I see Campy stuff or hear about a bike with it on.

If I turned up one day with a Campy equipped mountain bike, I think most of my mates would think it was pretty cool. It might not work that well, but it's Campag after all.....

It might have been crap; it might have been dropped pretty quickly, and it had a daft name, but I like it all the more for those reasons.

Cool.

Back