Retro weight weenie tips

If using a double chainset, swap to a road front mech. Campag Record is waaay lighter than an MTB front mech.

Pre load the A-head set with a steel bolt, then bolt up the stem clamp bolts and replace stem cap pre-load bolt with aluminium.

Better - preload headset with threaded rod/washers/nuts, do up stem clamp, take out preload tool and have nothing in the steerer at all :)

WD - as mentioned use leccy tape instead of rim tape, don't bother with valve caps.

BITD I drilled the cranks & chainrings, they never broke on me.
Remove bottle cage bolts, you don't need a bottle cage anyway.
Cut steerer as short as possible, no need for spacers.
Cut seatpost as short as possible.
Loads more, but some are just pure silliness eg save weight by removing grease from bearings, or remove a few bearings whilst you're at it.

Has anyone got a recommendation for whole bike scales?

crc sell 'feedback' sports scales £59. very delicate but very accurate

jimo746":23ekxqc5 said:
WD - as mentioned use leccy tape instead of rim tape, don't bother with valve caps.

231's + three layers of tape + narrow tyres + silly psi = tape with evenly spaced punched holes + tape circles with protruding nipple impressions :LOL: been there done that ... :LOL:

If you could be bothered to radius the edges of the nipple holes (they are quite sharp) you might get away with it - but the maxxis rim strips are light and free with the above tubes, it was an easy descision for me :D

WD :D

kaiser":1sq9fqbp said:
Has anyone got a recommendation for whole bike scales?

Get fishing scales from Hong Kong, will take a few weeks, but by the time the UK couriers are sorted it'll be just as quick.
Bargain and you can get down to 10g precision for a full bike if you look.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 900wt_1060
Are what I have. Tested them against some standard weights I can use and they are correct and even at the light end they are correct.
So easy to use even my 5yr old can go around the house 'taking numbers' :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
WD Pro":3ve1mw0x said:
jimo746":3ve1mw0x said:

231's + three layers of tape + narrow tyres + silly psi = tape with evenly spaced punched holes + tape circles with protruding nipple impressions :LOL: been there done that ... :LOL:

If you could be bothered to radius the edges of the nipple holes (they are quite sharp) you might get away with it - but the maxxis rim strips are light and free with the above tubes, it was an easy descision for me :D

If you're doing that, move to duck tape ;) My rims have never had that problem of the tape cutting yet.
Duck tape is heavier though.

I didn't get any strips with my maxis light job tubes, but they where half the price. So the strips are not free ;)

So you got the same maxxis tubes as above for £2 each ? :shock: :LOL:

Duck tape would defo be a better option than lecy tape :D

Back