Mount Snowdon

orange71":130ok086 said:
isn't there some sort of voluntary ban on cycling up Snowdon these days or is that summer time only?

That really annoys me when people say you arnt suposed to be up here on a bike, all the best techi tracks are on footpaths, and yeh i expect to get a wee bit of greif being on footpaths, but there is no way in a million years anyone is going to tell me there is only certain months i can ride my bike on a bridleway!!!!! Bridleways are bridleways 12 months of the year not 6 months.
Sorry guys had my little rant there, I think people only ever moan when you are on a footpath because they can, not because you are causing any problem to that person there and then, especially when you slow right down and smile.

WD Pro":2ch9sir4 said:
What's up with you boys ? :LOL:

My bear valley has been up there twice with nothing more than a flexstem and 1.5" hardpacks :D

Taking it up the zig zags was the mistake ... :LOL:

WD :D

Up the zig zags isnt that Ben Nevis??

That really annoys me when people say you arnt suposed to be up here on a bike, all the best techi tracks are on footpaths, and yeh i expect to get a wee bit of greif being on footpaths, but there is no way in a million years anyone is going to tell me there is only certain months i can ride my bike on a bridleway!!!!! Bridleways are bridleways 12 months of the year not 6 months.

The key word being "voluntary" - it's an agreement between MTBers and the National Park on a couple of specific, very popular trails for a few hours a day in the summer. Think of it as public relations. And bear in mind that it'd be a crap ride on an August day anyway - you'd be meeting a hiker every three feet. Where's the fun in that?

graham1975":5vtqjkuu said:
WD Pro":5vtqjkuu said:
What's up with you boys ? :LOL:

My bear valley has been up there twice with nothing more than a flexstem and 1.5" hardpacks :D

Taking it up the zig zags was the mistake ... :LOL:

Up the zig zags isnt that Ben Nevis??

Maybe ? but also known as the end of the path right up the centre of the horse shoe, where the miners track / pyg track meet the ridge :D

Quick google search - "Snowdon zig zags" :

draft_lens5396792module40957912photo_1245329108snowdon6.jpg

I agree it would be a crap ride meeting so many people, i just wouldnt do it in the 1st place, my mate wants to do Ben Nevis but again way too busy, it would spoil it. :cry:

Its possible to do it on any bike. A few friends and i did it in the spring of 1988. I used my Cannondale with Specialized Crossroad tyres and panniers. We went up late on the friday evening, drank too much and slept just below the summit in bivvy bags before decending at 6am the next morning. Even though it was a warm sunny May weekend we didnt see a single walker on the way down.

Back