raleigh of south africa???any info?

oldschoolfool

Retro Guru
picked up a raleigh road bike recently.Raleigh head badge which says Springs South Africa on it.
now i know the previous owner used to use it for triathlon races in SA in the early eighties.thing is i cant find anything on raleigh of south africa.
he told me the bike is a reynolds tubed frame but there are decals to prove that.the forks do have reynolds sms on them which i now know is 531,so maybe the frame is.
has got shimano adamas ax crank,and shimano rs rear mech,but front altus(??)weinmann 730's front and 810's rear.

any idea on the frame though.?

I can't imagine any 80s Raleigh racing frame having 730 brakes let alone 810. They are very long reach brakes for a racing frame.

Mark.

History - Raleigh South Africa from Roadking.

Raleigh opened a factory in Vereeniging, South Africa in the ealry 1950s, it did not just asemble it manufactured, initially about 50,000 bicycles a year.

In the rest of Africa Raleigh had a distributor, selling 150,000 bicycles a year.

Vereening was closed around 1960 - a worldwide shakeout - a former Tube Investments plant in the Transvaal became the only Raleigh factory in SA.

A factory was opened in 1974 in Nigeria, there have been other licensing arrangement throughout the continent.

I am unsure when the Transvaal plant was closed, but my guess was during the second half of the 1980s when Raleigh was sold to the Luxemburg based Derby International company.

Hope this fills a gap, Roadking.

I used to have a dublin built raleigh frame, the logo on that is different too.

it was a bit gas pipey though lol

I have Raleigh Ladies Roadbike with the headstamp" The Raleigh, Springs, South Africa". On the rear mudguard is a sticker saying the same. It has a White Brooks saddle and no gears. It has a little metal bell with the German inscriptions"Auf Zwei Radern Bleibt Man Jung" Could you possibly be able to give me more info, and if you give me an e-mail address, i could mail some pics to you. Martiens

Back