Mavic Aksium wheels...Opinions please.

Aksiums

I got a pair of the 2007's off Ebay for £110 delivered.
The rear is the slightly heavier (50g) than an Open Pro CD on Record but the front is surprisingly heavier than Mavics claim - about 995g. This has led to slightly slower steering and increased stability in corners - all very welcome on my bike, which was a bit twitchy before (for long runs anyway). The bearings are really smooth and the lateral flex is pretty good. I was able to get the pads much closer to the rims before rubbing. They use quite long nips and flat spokes so DIY truing is pretty easy - just make a slotted thing up to stop the spokes from winding up - a shifting spanner is OK. I hit a water covered pothole the other day and it nearly threw me, the wheels were fine. They have a slightly harsher ride than handbuilts (because they use quite a heavy rim) but the stiffness makes up for it.
You could save a pound in weight by going for american Classic hubs on Reflex rims or something but for peace of mind these things are a sound buy.

They've got the '06 models on CRC for £99, and if you look carefully there are 10% discount codes on the web

I've used some for about 6 months - very nice and stiff - seem to be tough, although a little heavy - but that's what I wanted...

Just put these onto my training bike as my old Open 4 CD's are making very strange noises from the rim/spokes - about 15 years old....

Just purchased the Ksyrium Equipes for the best bike - bottom of the Ksyrium range, very similar to the Aksiums, but a little lighter, and look bullet proof.

I've had them on my cross bike for a few weeks now, last weekends race was a really wet one so I took advantage of the jet wash before I left :oops: and everthing still seems smooth :)

Apart from me that is :D its a bit of a shock to the system after a couple of seasons out :shock: :D

Back