Dunkers big bad build thread

not sure if i'll make it along to this but i'll butcher the bike no-problem just in case :twisted:

Just got myself a rear wheel. Mavic 230 with an LX parralax hub for £22. I have the front to match. The rims are nice and light though I'm not sure about the hubs. The front is 784 grams pre fettle!

kaiser":210drqv1 said:
Just got myself a rear wheel. Mavic 230 with an LX parralax hub for £22. I have the front to match. The rims are nice and light though I'm not sure about the hubs. The front is 784 grams pre fettle!

i'm sorry , but thats quite sad weighing things :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"runs away to find the scales" whats a good target weight ? :oops:

Is this stupidly dangerous ?

I remember reading that the front face of the head tube is not under any serious stress and so could holes be drilled in the front face to reduce weight. Also as alloy BB shells tend to be thick can holes be drilled in the underside of it for the same reason.

Can those thick alloy welds be filed down a bit and can anything else be filed drilled other than removing the cable stops which of course is obvious ?

Also noticed old school BMX headset cups have holes drilled in the faces of the collars inserted in the headtube. Could this be done to alloy headset cups ?

Can the portion of seatposts inserted in the seat tube be drilled as they have good support. Seatpost will of course be cut down to minimum required.

mikee":27gs5xsk said:
care to choose a colour sir ?

black for me!

trying to work out where I can stray... I have 2 major weight savers but are quite modern :? though I don't think they'll ruin the retro aesthetic*. I also have a bar choice dilemma. Gazz gave me a nice pair of cowhorn types and whilst not the lightest bar I have available they make sense for a singlespeed.

*in partly answering my own question my singlespeed device will most certainly be modern.

Back