Peugeot 753 Project

Qubit

Old School Hero
A couple of weeks ago I won this Peugeot on ebay (bit of a impulse purchase!).

Bit of a state when i picked it up it must be said. It had a mixture of Shimano 600 tricolor, Dura Ace and 105 mainly. The only reference i could find to this model is as a frameset only.

peugeot753orig.jpg

Ive sinced stripped it down completely (including stripping the forks back to the chrome underneath as the paint was flaking badly there). Touched up the paintwork where possible and Ive now rebuilt it up with parts I had, only re-using the rather nice Dura-Ace 7410 chainset (did have to buy a 103mm bottom bracket for this as its low profile). Currently weighs ~9.7kg, quite respecatable for such a large frame.

Its now a mixture of Shimano 600 (including the first indexing 600 rear derailleur which Ive always liked), Dura-Ace and RX100: (Excuse the slightly odd handlebar position i do suffer from some back issues!)

peugeot753.jpg

Still work to be done, would like a decent set of 3ttt handlebars from the period and the original wheels should be salvagable. It rides really well though. Might even have to have it resprayed and find more Dura-Ace to match the chainset! :) ( But im impatient and really wanted to see how she rode!)

Great choice with those forks. In my opinion, if a frame has decent chrome it should be shown. A very nice looking job and bike indeed. :)

That is a very nice bike now, always liked those Peugeot frames, they are pretty without being over fussy, I had a 531 pro painted in metallic cerise looked way cool :D

Cheers guys :)

The forks were definitely worth stripping back to see the lovely chrome (although it does need a proper polish - on the list of stuff to do!) underneath. I had originally bought it to use as my occasional winter commuter, but that now seems unlikely as it deserves better.

Definitely want to see how your frame comes back from the powdercoaters Stick Legs - how much if you dont mind me asking?
That might well be something ill consider for this frame (leaving the forks chrome of course!)

Jonny69":2a8cithp said:
Very nice. It's a very clean looking bike. Mind if I ask what those slim pedals are?

Id never looked very closely at the pedals, they were off an old cheap road bike i had at Uni many years ago (they're in need of a service really). But they are great pedals in sheer useability terms (lightweight too).

I had a look this morning and they are apparently VP-516a. Whats more they are still available from velosolo! (thanks, without your prompt i might never have looked!)

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shoppedal.html

only £11.95, i might have to get a new pair! :)

Just a quick update to this. She rides like the wind this one, extremely responsive (but not harsh), I like it a lot! Simply the best bike ive ridden i reckon. Just a shame we havent had a lot of suitable riding weather lately!

Small update, still a work in progress. Not period correct or a complete groupset but i like the look. Different handlebars, front derailleur. New wheels, chain, 8 speed cassette and down tube levers, pedals and NOS tyres. Its a lovely ride. Seriously conisdering moving across the Shimano 600 tricolor groupset I have on another Peugeot at some point.

753a.jpg

753b.jpg

753c.jpg

753d.jpg

753e.jpg

753f.jpg

Awesome 753 Pro

Hi,

I had virtually the same bike. Not an easy bike, really frame to find info on.
Mine was originally built up with 7 speed Ultegra. This I updated to a 10 speed Campy Centaur group set. The rear stays had a enough spring to take the wider axle. Also had to update the fork to an Evo carbon The original came a cropper when I hit a pot hole stripping the thread. A friend at Raleigh then repainted it in pearlescent red. It eventually succumbed to the dread rust, the rear stay corroding near the drain hole.
I had some great times on my Peugeot including a month around Chambrey riding many of the historic TdF cols.

Great to see some pictures.

p.s. the saddle in the picture just worked at this odd angle

Attachments

• Peugeot 753.JPG
    Peugeot 753.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,574
Back