Retro weight weenie tips

FluffyChicken":31zjhmjr said:
Well there are many much lighter now, Air-B's are ~130g
Panaracer R-Air's are the closest to the Air-B Butyl/Latex mix. (about 150g)

So what is a good lightweight but practical innnertube these days?

The Air-Bs hardly ever punctured on me.

Don't know how they will last :LOL:

DSC04385.jpg

WD :D

Not light to start with and not done to save weight (that's a bonus ;-)), done to be different, but relevant for this topic :LOL:

DSC03467.jpg

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03556.jpg

DSC03805.jpg

DSC05147.jpg

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05519.jpg

WD :D

-Drill everything
-Leccy tape rim tapes
-Double butted spokes & Alloy nipples
-Cut down the handle bars by an inch
-Cut the seat post and stem off (yeah, at the right angle for the expander wedge!) so there is only the minimum 2" required insert in the frame
-Drill out the inner wall of double skinned rims (so a 32 hole Mavic 231CD has 64 holes around the inside wall where the innertune sits)
-Racing bike bartape for grips.
-Smaller frame and longer seat post (though this was usually accidental due to growing!!)
-1.5" nobbly tyres (specialized hard packs)
-Utterly ridiculous spoke lacings, Radial front, 2x drive side & radial rear.

Umm, that's all the stupid things I did to poor un-suspecting bikes BITD!!! :oops:

Much of the above, I weighed 200+ lbs and rode a 28 spoke front wheel radial laced with Revolution sopokes in alloy nips on a 370gr rim. And Panaracer Greenlite PolyUrethane innertubes, see through thin. And don't forget coloured anodised aluminium bolts everywhere except the stem and seatpost.

Pre load the A-head set with a steel bolt, then bolt up the stem clamp bolts and replace stem cap pre-load bolt with aluminium.

Enjoy!!

Gripshifters, lightest shifters ever and cheap as chips.
Take the biggest cog off your 8 speed cassette.
Use downtube shifters instead of STIs.
Use double chainsets instead of tripled.
Foam grips.
Bike Jumbles instead of Ebay.
Shorten your chain.

IbocProSX":estgdbur said:
Much of the above, I weighed 200+ lbs and rode a 28 spoke front wheel radial laced with Revolutions and alloy nips on a 370gr rim. And Panaracer Greenlite PolyUrethane innertubes, see-through thin. And don't forget coloured anodised aluminium bolts everywhere except the stem and seatpost.

Pre load the A-head set with a steel bolt, then bolt up the stem clamp bolts and replace stem cap pre-load bolt with aluminium.

Enjoy!!

Back