Slingshot thread

Yeah right! :D

Lovely bikes and I'd never say no to owning one, but I've never been convinced that they actually 'work'. Cool though. :cool:

Cherry,

Gotta ride it to believe it :cool:

Now, just as there are really cool positive aspects to the frame, there are plenty of negatives as well...

Gotta run to the shop, spending too much time at play this morning :D

r

Again, I tell you my impressions. It works well, provided you stay seated. it's very comfortable, but I guess it depends more on the steel than on the cable design. It gives the best in rocky climbs, where it's smooth. In fast descents it's very stable because the wheelbase gets longer as the rear end pulls the cable, but it gets quirky under hard front braking for the opposite reason. In the turns you have to set your line earlier because the rear end tends to bend towards the out side, but once you have dialled the technique this can even help you.

I totally agree with Rumpfy concerning the choice of the forx: I have an elastomer suspension and I'n not satisfied at all, but just can't be bothered looking for a rigid unicrown fork (even because it should be a straight bladed one and it's not easy to find in a 1" steerer size, unless it's a swithchblade - which I don't like).

Overall, a really enjoyable bike to ride.

I agree that the frame shape dictates straight bladed forks.
Curved forks (as they came with) go against all the straight lines that these frames have.

I was under the impression (misapprehension??) that the 'suspension' medium in the hinge was from the transverse fiberglass leaf spring of the 1990 Corvette.

Yes that's right, transverse (i.e. one leaf for 2 wheels), fibergalss (as in the popular NON structural and rarely used structural material). Gotta love 'vettes!

jez-2-many-bikes":3s5x2giz said:
My Slingshot appeared yesterday - very nice it is too. Nicely made, pretty light and in good condition. Wont need a respray afterall.

I'm still stumped as to how it works....will make a great build just dont know what to build it with though...

Yeah, go full rigid if you can. Frame flex + suspension fork motion makes for a funky combo.

Thats a 92 BTW. :)

Back