Commuting....

Will Palmer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right folks - I'm after some suggestions from all those out there with commuter steads...

I commute to London on a regular basis - coming into Paddington on the mainline and then getting the Tube to Temple - however, it's recently occured to me that I could cycle the 5km overground with less hassle, quicker and probably more comfortably than spending 25mins on the tube!!

So basically, I'm looking for suggestions for a bike to leave locked up at Paddington overnight, and use between the Station and the office once I arrive in London. My guess is that I'm looking for something simple, light, unconspicuous (i.e. re-sprayed black!), singlespeed - or at least single chainring/8spd.

I have most of the ancilleries (brakes, crank, stem, bar) so frame, wheel and gearing advice would be welcomed - Given the locquacios nature of the RetroBike members, I'm sure there's a lot out there ;)

Thanks in advance
Will

:shock: i wouldn't leave a bike over night in Paddington. Give it a week max and it will be gone. Or buy so many D locks so that the bike is covered in them.
Great idea cycle to work from the station. But i'd rethink the leave at the station idea- Any station.

That was the theory behind the plain black simple looking bike... there are many bikes stored at Paddington and numerous people I work with leave bikes as Euston, KC and other stations.... all have at least two D-Locks ;)

My thoughts are that I don't wanna spend much on the bike so it does get nicked it won't be too much of a loss - unless anyone knows of a secret hiding place for bikes near Paddington :)

safety in numbers - I guess if you park it among loads of others it might escape notice...

tintin40":3djh5zbi said:
:shock: i wouldn't leave a bike over night in Paddington. Give it a week max and it will be gone. Or buy so many D locks so that the bike is covered in them.
Great idea cycle to work from the station. But i'd rethink the leave at the station idea- Any station.

I agree with tintin40, I have the same dilema in that I don't want to take a bike on the train but have one at Cambridge station - Im not convinced that even the most stealth bike would be at risk - just think magpies! :D :D (not Newcastle United Fans!! :LOL: :LOL: )

So I am looking into getting a folding shopper and pimping it - a bit like

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/moul_sto.jpeg

It the way forward .......... in my mind :D :D :D

Mark

One other thing to remember. They my not take the bike. But they want a part off your bike. Arrive and find no stem, front wheel. Or as is happen to Wu some one may just vandalize it. Don't worry as it in London rest asssureded nobody will do any thing or get involved.

Back