Raleigh Gemini Trail (bit like a 'cross bike ?)

Cab":1uyctcm1 said:
Groovy :cool:

Geminiwithdrops.jpg

All works great. Commuted on it a couple of days, handles the cobbles & alleyways; everything felt right so I made sure I got out early & tore up Lady Smythes this morning. Did some hard circuits on the grass, then found it works better than expected on singletrack. Lovin' the bar end shifters & 6 speed, but if the technology gets too much this frames ideal for ss/fixed! could be the all rounder, the one!
Had so much fun I'm moved to invest in tyres for it: reasonably priced recommendations please? (pretty sure they're the originals on there) & I'm going to try & get a Sunday free for a proper cross race.

WOW a Gemini Trail !!!!!!!
The cable route was originally out of the tape where the bars start to bend up and we used white tape. Brilliant bike well ahead of it's time.
Love it :)

bikemeister2000":142brdme said:
WOW a Gemini Trail !!!!!!!
The cable route was originally out of the tape where the bars start to bend up and we used white tape. Brilliant bike well ahead of it's time.
Love it :)

So they were sold with drop bars originally? This one came with Cro-Mo flats, which had a little 'Gemini' sticker on:

Gemini1.jpg

Bikemeister, did you work for Raleigh, then? what was the original seat? that was the only bit missing (& clamp off the SR post which is too short for me!)

I think it was a Vetta Gel. As for the bars, forgive me, but we also made a version called Trail XC which had drop bars and bar end shifters. You are correct in that the Trail had flat bars, just ilke in your picture. It was part of a range from Raleigh Lightweight, as we were called then.

Regards

Thanks Bikemeister, sure is a nice bike, drops or flats! Reckon I'll keep this one a while.

bikemeister2000":2bgpdujv said:
I think it was a Vetta Gel. As for the bars, forgive me, but we also made a version called Trail XC which had drop bars and bar end shifters. You are correct in that the Trail had flat bars, just ilke in your picture. It was part of a range from Raleigh Lightweight, as we were called then.

Regards

As an ex-Raleigh employee, going to have to pick your brains a little further, Bikemeister - apologies. Any idea why the Gemini above uses 753 not 531 fork blades to accompany a 531 main frame? The same is true of the ones I've seen offered on eBay.

David

Hi David, the label on mine says 525, haven't dismantled yet to see if there's any marks on the steerer. It's a good handling & comfortable fork, but I would be interested to hear suggestions for a period alternative with clearance for a little more tyre width!

David B":1ucld85g said:
bikemeister2000":1ucld85g said:

Regards

As an ex-Raleigh employee, going to have to pick your brains a little further, Bikemeister - apologies. Any idea why the Gemini above uses 753 not 531 fork blades to accompany a 531 main frame? The same is true of the ones I've seen offered on eBay.

David

No 753 fork blades were used. It was Reynolds 525.

bikemeister2000":1ru8hzyi said:
David B":1ru8hzyi said:
bikemeister2000":1ru8hzyi said:

Regards

David

No 753 fork blades were used. It was Reynolds 525.

My mistake - for some reason I thought it was a purple label on the fork blade not a red one (I'm blaming my monitor; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). :oops:

David

Back