Slingshot thread

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My Slingshot appeared yesterday - very nice it is too. Nicely made, pretty light and in good condition. Wont need a respray afterall.

I'm still stumped as to how it works....will make a great build just dont know what to build it with though...

jez-2-many-bikes":2kzryy8g said:
I'm still stumped as to how it works.

It's kind of like a sweet spot (tm) URT frame with a really high pivot. If I remember correctly, the "spring " is a combination of the spring in the wire (downtube substitute) at the head tube end of the wire and the polymer "hinge" (rumoured to be the same material as some part of an F-15). The damping is from the polymer.

So, in summary, it works like an elastomer sprung/damped high-pivot URT frame.

Jez,

Nice find.

If I was to build it, I would use alot of the parts that were on my Sling team bikes back in the day;

rigid fork - a definate must to really appreciate the magic of the frame. A nice unicrown is light, responsive, and flows well with the lines of the frame...whatever, don't put on a sus fork, you'll regret it.

wheels - Phil Wood hubs, Union Ti spokes, Mavic ceramic rims, and a Sachs fw - a classic set up that is beautiful, race hardy, and functionally elegant.

Phil bottom bracket - silky smooth for a lifetime

Mavic components - sealed headset, 8 speed road derailleur, and front derailleur. Did not use the Mavic mountain stuff as the road kit was more plentiful for replacement parts. I also used such high gears, I did not have a triple up front so the road fd was just fine. Oh to be young and strong again :LOL: Plus the black and silver was really cool!

Salsa quill stem - just fit well and lots of rise options

Answer taper light bar - light and cheap, came in cool colors.

Syncros crank and post - super beefy yet still light

Poseable Bullwinkle the moose strapped to back...just for good kharma!

I don't remember what I had for brakes or shifters???

Anyways, all the components were choosen because they performed well, required little maintenance, and finished the race every time out...just what you should expect from your bike.

I think I'd respray her though...unless THIS one will be a rider :p

cheers,

rody

Ohh, and remember Jez...the Slingshot IS NOT a suspension design.

It is an energy capture and return design, taking the wasted lateral movement of the bottom bracket that is not used to propel the cranks forward, storing the energy in the spring by compression, and then returning the "forward" energy during the weak phase of the pedal stroke by uncompressing.

If you were to look at the process in slow motion, the bike frame would "inch worm" in the vertical plane.

It's not about comfort, it is all about SPEED.

cheers,

rody

Wow - thank you Rody - awesome advice there!

I wont get it resprayed - its in pretty good condition really - apart from teh missing paint which I can touch up.

Understand a little more about the way it works- I have a nice rigid I can use (an odd crown mated with some Syncros steel legs). Should work ok.

This will go xc pro methinks as thats all i have sitting here.

Back