L'Eroica 2011 - Anyone been there and done it?

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Hi everyone,

not quite sure where to post this...I am seriously considering doing L'Eroica next year, combine with a holiday..lovely Italy, classic bikes on those white gravel roads.

Decided the road bike forum was best as L'Eroica is barred to bikes newer than 1987 and no clipless pedals!

That's my 1986 Looks banned then.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers, Roadking.

I'm sure Ed Edwards will be along soon to tell you all about his exploits there this year. :LOL:

If you do a 'search' you should find a L O N G thread all about it.

There are rumours about a possible Retrobike club outing for 2011 so watch this space!

In a similar vein, I'm interested in doing the Retro Ronde von Vlaanderen next year 'cos L'Eroica is a bit far away and Belgium's a bit nearer. Anyone else?

EDIT - just found this link regarding the 2011 event -

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... -2011.html

roadking":1lrkpxbx said:
That's my 1986 Looks banned then.

yeah ive got some too... right bummer that decision ... cant see me going back to clips & straps with all the associated discomfort

L'erioca

Bit nearer home, am trying to organise a similar ride here on the Isle of anglesey, lots of narrow lanes and farm and forest tracks, all for retro bikes, clipless pedals allowed ...

Re: L'erioca

orbeas":jdvbo4wr said:
Bit nearer home, am trying to organise a similar ride here on the Isle of anglesey, lots of narrow lanes and farm and forest tracks, all for retro bikes, clipless pedals allowed ...

Will it be just like the Italian ride but instead of glasses of wine and bowls of pasta we'll be treated to chip butties and Vimto?

If so....... count me in!

I rode the event with Ed - a great experience but don't under-estimate the 205km event. There's no scrutineering of bikes as it's more a festival of cycling, so you can get away with riding anything - there were people riding with modern carbon frames or using clipless pedals and shoes, but it's not exactly in the spirit of the event. I really admired the guys riding the really old bikes - the climb up to Montelcino is hard on anything, never mind a single speed weighing 35lbs

Appreciated, but here's an idea from Roadking.

Thanks for all the comments guys,

I live in the Lincolnshire Wolds, which would be a great venue for a classic event like L'Eroica; be real cool to set something up in the UK.

We have really quiet lanes here, lovely rolling countryside...and in the day (I am unsure when exactly) the national road race championships were held here.

We could use that course.

Any thoughts?

Steel is real, anything else is just a compromise.

Cheers, Roadking.

Good idea - but you'll need some cart tracks and rough bridle ways to make it right :twisted:

When are you thinking of having the Anglesey one Barry?

Rode l'eroica this year with Fraser, egocentic report here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119806

Key points are

- don't assume that regular road miles = strada bianchi miles. They are no further, not much harder but do take considerably longer. Which gives more time to look at the views/reflect on your weaknesses.

- toeclips are not an issue, or if they are then you are in the wrong event.

- the 205km route has 5,000m of climbing. Nothing is super steep but it is pretty regular. Not a problem but worth knowing beforehand.

I'm loving the idea of the retro Ronde de Vlanderen even if it conflicts with Mayhem. Perhaps we should start a thread to see if anyone is up for it (the Ronde, not MM).

Back