Nitromors, how to please.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a very 'garish' but rellly rather nice early '90s 531 road frame that I am building up as a winter / pub / daily bike. I am thinking of stripping the paint and making it a little less garish. I wondered about nitromors, do you paint it on and then scrape off, or is there more finesse required, do you have to remove the decals first (this will be a pain as they are huge and old!)?

Cheers.
:D

It'll take paint and decals off.

Heres how I do it.

pour nitromorse in small amounts into a bowl and then paint onto frame with a paint brush, leave the paint to bubble and take off with course wire wool pads or a paint scraper. I strip it in sections, rather than all at once as well. you'll probably want some medium wire wool to clean out the detail and just smooth it all out when finished. Doing it that way rather than all at once leaves you far more in control of what your doing and less fumes about the place.

WATCH YOURSELF, nitromorse isnt nice stuff you want the proper thick rubber gloves like you get from gardening centre, marigolds wont do, it'll melt them. goggles or the like too, its not stuff you want in eyes. plenty of ventilation as well for the fumes.

In all honesty if you know someone who will beadblast it for cheap enough do that, If its a pub bike and you can get it blasted/powdercoated for about £50. It'll cost you £35-40, stripping, priming, painting and putting lacquer on it and in the middle of winter its a bloody nuisance.

trust me, I did it last week.

I wouldnt use it ,better off taking the old paint of with a 60 grit disc and a hobby sander.You will need to do this to key the frame after using stripper anyhow.If you get it commercially blasted make sure they dont use cast iron grit it will rust instantly inside the tubes.Also make sure you fill all the brazing blow holes with something like rolled up masking tape
HTH

playford":1fiz15ad said:
In all honesty if you know someone who will beadblast it for cheap enough do that, If its a pub bike and you can get it blasted/powdercoated for about £50. It'll cost you £35-40, stripping, priming, painting and putting lacquer on it and in the middle of winter its a bloody nuisance.

trust me, I did it last week.

I am tempted by this idea, I will pop over the local powder coaters later, £60 seems a good idea vs trying to spray aerosol hammerite smooth in -2 conditions! Probably be a better job for it too!

It is a pain. I try and avoid having to do it if I can because it's a mess, stinks, you do get burned even if you wear protection and then the hassle of getting all the last bits off. I've only done one bike frame and it was a fiddly annoying job.

I am tempted by this idea, I will pop over the local powder coaters later, £60 seems a good idea vs trying to spray aerosol hammerite smooth in -2 conditions! Probably be a better job for it too!

I used car primer -> montana graffiti paint -> car gloss lacquer. If you look on the readers bikes forum its the 1970's carlton.

Honestly though,you'll have to take off headset and BB for powdercoating but its a far handier job. Trying to get spraypaint to go off in that kind of temperature is just a bad idea, doing in summer isnt too bad, I ended up doing it inside as was so cold/darl outside and nearly gassed myself in process. All to save yourself £20...lol especially if it isnt a very fancy frame.

By the time you have bought stripper, rattle cans etc (and take several hours) a powdercoater is a great deal.

If you are unfussy about the colour then it's even cheaper - they are always doing black and white for gates and similar, and it's cheap if they just blast it and add to an existing paint batch. You might be able to get it as cheap as £30...

Done, she is now at the powder coaters, coming back in about a week in a slightly off white. Fingers crossed!

Now to find some nice decals for it! :D

Back