Campagnolo 8 Speed Titanium Cassette - lockring query.

eBay_special

Devout Dirtbag
Hello retro race enthusiasts and 'experts',

I have an 8-speed Campagnolo Record set-up on my Cougar 753 cycle and I currently use a 12-21 Ti Exa-drive cassette as part of it. There's not much of this Record Ti 8 speed stuff [immediately after C-Record] about, so I've been stuck with insuffient gearing for the Sussex Downs for years now: fine you're fit and strong, not so fine when you're wheezy and older !
Had opportunity to secure a 13-23 Ti cassette recently via ebay, but cassette came without the Ti lockring; not of any importance to me - I have one on the hub already, except that I'm unsure whether the Ti lockring would be the same for the 12 sprocket as for the 13 and would take the same lockring tool which I don't have.
Can anyone with vastly superior Campagnolo 8 speed knowledge answer these questions for me please ?

Hoping for a positive outcome - as always 'glass half full' !

thankyou,
ebay_special

Lockring for 12T and 13T is the same. Only those for 11T are different.

(Until you go 9-speed where it all gets very complicated indeed)

I think the campag system of the lockring coming with the hub is should be better (bit cheaper) than every Shimano cassette having a new lockring (except for this 11-12 Campagnolo diameter discrepancy)

latman":tqcvxk87 said:
I think the campag system of the lockring coming with the hub is should be better (bit cheaper) than every Shimano cassette having a new lockring (except for this 11-12 Campagnolo diameter discrepancy)

Agreed 'latman' - it's a vastly more sensible system [as usual], but you could see my dilemma......enthusiastically purchase thinking nothing of missing lockring, then, on arrival there's the 'oh shit' moment when you realise there may be a difference and you now have to find one.
Don't even know if a steel one would have got me out of jail - the Ti cassette uses a Ti lockring, obviously. And loose, they cannot be easy to find!
I'm relieved to say the least. Thanks for your input.

Back