New member says hi and like help with a Geoffrey Butler.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Hi everyone :D ,

hope I've found a home for my obsession with steel framed"retro"bikes.

Is there someone out there with a little knowledge on a frame I'm building up?

I'm a south London/Surrey boy living in the Lincolnshire Wolds now, and have (amongst others) a Geoffrey Butler frame bought new by one of my Dad's friends (the friend is not around now). He used to live near GBs shop in South Croydon and I believe the frame to be 531/1960s or 70s(?) - it has Nervex Professional lugs and shot-in seatstays, and built for 27" wheels - too much clearance with 700c's. Only braze on is for the rear mech.

Would have quite pricey with the Pro lugs. I know GBs didn't build frames but subbed out to good builders and the GB name on the frame was well respected.

Currently planning to repaint in red enamal with a white headtube luglined in gold with white transfers - I have some nice stuff to go on it.

Any comments/interest would be really welcome.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of help with 'Old Skool' retro steel bikes here!

Somebody somewhere will know about GB and their frame builders. There were several who built for 'the trade' in the London area. Have you tried looking through the Classic Lightweights website to see if there are any references there - either directly or indirectly?

I take it that it's a waste of time asking the current GB shop as they're probably only interested in the current scene - or am I wrong in supposing this?

I have a 60's GB frame that I have had for 10 years or so, and hopefully a newer (80's ish) example on the way.

I've never found a huge amount of information out there on them TBH

Back