Just bought a bike, can someone identify it?

joeshaw92

Dirt Disciple
Hi, bought an old racing bike today with the intention of using it as my every day bike, as I love the look of old racing bikes. However, I have no idea what it is, and would appreciate it if someone could give me some background on it. It looks quite tatty but I quite like that, I just need to buy new brake pads and tires and it'll be good to go.

Some info:

Weinmann 730 brakes
Sachs-Huret Front Derailleur
Unknown 'Elan' Rear Derailleur
Shimano Unindexed shifters
'Germany' written on the pedals and a logo on the crank which I don't recognise
Dawes Iscaselle Saddle - may or may not be original
27" tyres
Aftermarket dynamo-powered lights
Clipfast - England wheel fasteners

Excuse the poor pictures, it's the best I could do

imag0001i.jpg

imag0006k.jpg

imag0007c.jpg

imag0012n.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I've double checked the logo on the chainset and it definately isn't Raleigh, I can't really describe it, but i'll try to get a picture of it at some point tomorrow when I get my proper camera out rather than just my phone. I might take some clearer pictures too.

Also, I'm not sure how many of the parts are original, apparently the guy who owned it before me before he died loved cycling, so it could be he's changed some parts around.

There are a couple of small holes at the front under the between the handlebars and the forks where a logo would've gone but it's been removed, along with all of the stickers, it seems.

Any idea of model/age?

EDIT: Just found this thread:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

The logo on the chainset looks the same, so definitely of Raleigh origin. What companies were in the raleigh group?

Oooooooooo, Raleigh bought every British manufacturer going - Sun, Carlton, Triumph and BSA were all part of Raleigh. It isn't a Carlton - could be a BSA or Sun? Have you had a look at Spokesmann's 1970's Raleigh catalogues in the Catalogues and Magazine scans sub forum - they might help.

none of them really look like my bike, could be a few of the parts on there have been added/changed at a later date. Do you know where I'd find the serial number? I can't seem to find it and that might help a fair bit

EDIT: Could possibly be a Raleigh Flyer that's been repainted along the line?

Any ideas of model/age? I've scoured old catalogues and nothing seems to resemble it. I wouldn't mind knowing so I can get it stickered up again once I start work on it

Thankyou so much! The rear of the Brake calipers say February and April 1978, so it's probably a 78/79 model. Time to do some more research! The hubs are completely blank though

Back