J.A Holland; the search for spock.

Well worth restoring, and a great find with all its original parts. Frame is butted 531 and the lugs are Nervex Professional, so it's a quality hand-built machine, probably from the mid to late 1950s judging by the equipment.

Chater Lea cranks, Airlite hubs, Campag Gran Sport rear mech, Brooks saddle, Mafac brakes and GB bars and stem - it's all top drawer componentry for the period.

Should be a very rewarding restoration project, but it might be worth preserving the frame instead of having it repainted. With T-cut and polish, it may well scrub up quite well.

t-cut and polish x2

cranks rechromed, rest could be gotten nos or cleaned up.

rechromed cranks. could be an amazing bike, I really fancy a classic build at the minute.

I PM'ed the OP, and he's sold the bike.
Shame I wasn't on the forum 12 months ago, I might have persuaded him to sell it to me.
And yes mavesyn, J A Holland was my father, I'll see if I can find some old photos of his shop, bikes etc and post them up.
I've a feeling that my mother still has one of his frames hidden away somewhere.

Bill-H":5wbe30hb said:
Shame I wasn't on the forum 12 months ago, I might have persuaded him to sell it to me.
And yes mavesyn, J A Holland was my father, I'll see if I can find some old photos of his shop, bikes etc and post them up.
I've a feeling that my mother still has one of his frames hidden away somewhere.

You might like to consider getting in touch with the Classic Lightweights website. I am certain that they would be very interested to include any information and pictures on J A Holland cycles. In fact there is some information on there already. Take a look: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... d-crump-rb

Wheelnut":1q9sfsik said:
You might like to consider getting in touch with the Classic Lightweights website. I am certain that they would be very interested to include any information and pictures on J A Holland cycles. In fact there is some information on there already. Take a look: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... d-crump-rb

I updated the info held by the National Cycle Archives a few years ago.
The papers they hold relate to my grandfather W C Holland and his pre-WW2 cycle business based in West Bromwich.

I understand my sister has been in touch recently with Classic Lightweights regarding your link. From the frame number, that bike was the second one built in February 1958.

spibblo is still posting - I think, I may still have the majority of a 1950's Campagnolo rear mech that would help with this.

Wheelnut":1i7mq3nz said:
Bill-H":1i7mq3nz said:

Just gone on there, more info. -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html

I updated the info held by the National Cycle Archives a few years ago.
The papers they hold relate to my grandfather W C Holland and his pre-WW2 cycle business based in West Bromwich.

I understand my sister has been in touch recently with Classic Lightweights regarding your link. From the frame number, that bike was the second one built in February 1958.
Hello
I have a J A Holland frame with numbers on bottom bracket 831290 with 45 close by on downtube.
Looking forward to restoring it as soon as I know what year. Can anyone help.

I read the Classic Lightweights page on the J A Holland frame/date numbering system.
My frame is 831290 it cannot have been built in 1931 does anyone understand these numbers.
It is a beautifully made frame only weighing 2.8 kilo, it has the finest seat stays I have come across.
Need a year of production for restoration to ride again.

Back