ebay UK: SBU raleigh?

legrandefromage":vjn7pcqr said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Racer-1984-model-/180587975634?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a0be1d3d2#ht_626wt_1139

Interesting. Know that SBDU did build with fastback stays like this model. Did regular Raleigh, dunno. As for guard eyelets assume you could have more or less what you wanted. But eyelets?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
was going by my own genuine Ilkston built tip find:

ti_raileigh_525.jpg

SBDU Raleighs from Roadking.

Hi Guys,

in my opinion the Ebay bike is not an Ilkeston frame...fastback stays were offered on SBDU frames but only after consultation with the client.

Fitness for purpose was an SBDU mantra.

Frame numbers are critical in identifying Ilkeston frames, people often confuse SBDU frames with Lightweight Unit (LU) frames - especially if the frame numbers are missing (if missing suggest the frame is not an SBDU one). LU frames are very good but were made in the Nottingham works...the LU also built complete bicycles. SBDU frames are exquisite in their construction but not at all fussy.

The SBDU used a limited range of well proven lugs and bracket shells and yes you could have mudguard eyes and even pump pegs; but only on certain frames.

I have both a SBDU frame (ordered new by myself) and an LU machine - from new again but slightly older, but both are"classic"1980s.

Will post pics in the near future.

Cheers guys, Roadking.

SBDU frames and fastback stays.

Hi Guys :D .

Being a bit of a cycnic I don't think the Ebay Raleigh is an Ilkeston one: I suspect a Lightweight Unit frame - still nice though.

SBDU frames could be had with fastback stays; but only on frame smaller than 60cms and those for light use. SBDU frames with Cinelli lugs did not have fastback stays.

Raliegh had a Lightweight Unit at Nottingham (SBDU in Ilkeston) that built very nice frames and some complete bicycles (I have an LU bicycle and an SBDU frameset).

Often LU frames are mistaken for SBDU ones as the LU did build with fastback stays and in greater quantity than the SBDU. LU frames are numbered differently from SBDU ones.

The SBDU effectively disappeared in 1987 when the Ilkeston factory was closed, moved to Nottingham and became Special Products.

Raleigh still made frames for Pro teams: one of the most famous bicycles (in my opinion) being Laurent Fignon's (Systeme U) bicycles in the 1989 season and TdF.

The SBDUs palmares is impressive (for another post though). I met Gerald O'Donovan when I ordered my frame.

Hope this fills in a few gaps.

Roadking.

Latest posts

Back