Hope 5-bolt spider.

Combining 5 and 6 bolt might be possible. It wouldn't look good though :cry:

The 44mm bolt circle of modern ISO wouldn't go well with the Hope 80mm BCD. Perhaps an adapter might be possible to bridge the gap.

I may be able to have both sorts made within a batch price, since they'd be very similar (in CNC CAD world anyway :? )

The spline looks pretty similar to the Middleburn crank spline, which I've aleady had modelled for another project.

Lockrings should be easy enough, do they use BSA (1.370" X 24 tpi) left/right, fixed hub lockring thread (1.29" x 24 TPI/1.32" x 24 TPI) or something metric? Any ideas

shouldnt be that big a problem :? not that i can see,but i could be missing fundamental points :?
A solid disc with 2 stepped points.One for the 6 bolt[in the middle] and the 5 around the outside :?

dyna-ti":19ly1aj4 said:
A solid disc with 2 stepped points.One for the 6 bolt[in the middle] and the 5 around the outside :?

Would be OK with older Hope brakes. But as danson67 pointed out, it wouldn't look as good as later 5-arm spiders. And would also be heavier.

Aesthetics would be a big issue on a 5-arm spider that would also work with 6-bolt.

@ Fatnslow,

Perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone...

I'll helicoil your stripped threads on the old spider FOC(I'm assuming they're M5 standard thread like current ISO rotors) if I can borrow it and a lockring for a couple of days for measuring :)

PM if your interested.

All the best,

Hey all,

I have a set of 'older' (2000'ish) Bulb hubs with 5-bolt splined adapters and lockrings.

I was put off originally by the post saying "not the Bulb ones", but after seeing the photos I realised that one of the ones I have is ( I think ) what you need.

Hope decided to make the front and rear Bulbs fit different splined adapters and lockrings - which meant you also had to buy two different tools to fit and remove them. Way to go Hope! Why don't you have the shirt off my back too? I wouldn't mind as much if your brakes actually worked well, but...

Anyway, the front one is like the first photo; a 5-pointed star within a circle.
The rear one is in the second and third photos - hopefully this is the one you need.

I am in Edinburgh and am willing and able to lend danson67 the adapter and the lockring by recorded mail as long as they get back to me by the same - sorry but I can't afford to lose them as it would make my hubs pretty much useless too - as others have said.

I 'Hope' that this is some help to people.

Cheers,
Andy.

Attachments

• BulbRear2.jpg
    BulbRear2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 648
  • BulbRear1.jpg
    BulbRear1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 648
  • BulbFrontAdaptor.jpg
    BulbFrontAdaptor.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 648
Thanks for that Andy,

I'm more than willing to take very good care of them, and send them back recorded.

I kind of like the idea of re-manufacturing old stuff--Neo-retro ;)

I'll PM my address.

All the best,

Hi,I have one of these;

100_4743.jpg

looks like the rear adapter,its new and unused complete with A/K bolts £12 posted.PM if you are interested,thanks.

Re:

Did anything happen about making any of these 5 star spiders ?

If not I have just bought one I could get machined up.

Gary

Re:

No, Gazza, they weren't ever made :cry:

But I do have a IGES CAD file for it if that'll help for you.
My modelling rather than Hope's, so it might need checking.

All the best,

Back