was it worth it?----TBG, kona explosif---(sinnerman)

decals

Mr Panda":28vkugfd said:
V nice :D

What did you use to create the decals and what are they printed on?

(.......scurries off to look at old explosif in cellar :twisted: )

I tried every avenue i could to try and purchase the decals from sumone, but sadly, every avenue i went down i came up empty, no one seemed to have the original decal artwork, i even gave tbg in canada a ring, for two things, the type of paint they used for the splatter bitd, and to see if i could get artwork for the original decals, sadly and as expected after such a long time, i didnt get very far. Everyone i went to had the later artwork but not tbg kona models. I have learnt since that Gil_m, is the man, and does a fantastic job, (i wish i had known before i started). I took lots of photos, and a lot of measurements, and then scanned them, i was lucky to a degree as i have a good friend into retro bmx...(burners mainly) who had the vinyl cutting equipment required, after a lot of fettling to the artwork on screen, and touching up parts of the decals that were missing, using scans from catalogues, i eventually had what i needed to print.
got to be honest though, i really struggled in getting the tbg headbadge correct, more so on the cindercone, which does differ to the explosif, it says underneath TBG "the bicycle group", i just couldnt get it right. once printed i carefully applied the decals using the measurements taken, to replace the old ones with the new, in exactly the same position, they do differ to the originals, but thankfully under eight coats of lacquer, the differences are a lot harder to see.

Attachments

• the g on the word group isnt quite right.jpg
    the g on the word group isnt quite right.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5,376
pics of bitd as requested

here are a couple of pics, from those glorious days at the malverns, (my fondest memories) BITD, using the bike, you will see on this occasion the forks being used are a replacment set, loaned to me, by the importers. and they are a different colour all together, thankfully they resolved the problems with the early track two forks an i did get a new set in the correct colour. the other pic shows the constant trouble i had with suntours gear change..causing several broken chains....and coming accross the finish line with another one.......lol.

Attachments

• img053rb3_289.jpg
    img053rb3_289.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 5,349
  • the_start_line_and_me_and_kona_184.jpg
    the_start_line_and_me_and_kona_184.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 5,349
I just feel thankful that you took my advice for a change it actually worked!

This is a strange place to be, our bikes (a little like ourselves) are getting older and thinner, but still we love the bikes that we always did and stare in disbelief at those who spend 2 months wages on a full suspension monstrosity only to then leave it in the shed after getting bored of bouncing up and down endlessly.

As you rightfully say to steal your line:

--- WE RIDE THE FRAMES OF LEGENDS...!!!, BUT UNTILL WE RIDE THEM, THEY CANNOT BECOME LEGENDARY.....!!!!!

decal artwork

pic of artwork as requested.please note the first attempt colours are in correct. :cry:

Attachments

• first attempt.JPG
    first attempt.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,740
great rebuild of the kona

i have the egg shell blue with yellow splatter explosif .intrested in were i can get a set of decals for my bike thanks ade :)

Back