Merckx b/b query

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
The Corsa Extra always has an Italian thread, right? But does shell size vary - the cups on a 600 b/b I had off another Corsa Extra just too small.

A bit confused :?

The diameter is smaller? That must be Belgian treading :LOL:

Ed, it sounds a bit like the 600 is British. Italian is larger diameter and threads the other way round on the drive side.

British says 1.37
It says 1.36..

Elev12k":3f59l171 said:
The diameter is smaller? That must be Belgian treading :LOL:

Ed, it sounds a bit like the 600 is British. Italian is larger diameter and threads the other way round on the drive side.

British says 1.37
It says 1.36..

Thanks Mel, as you say, it is 1.37 but that has me confused as it came out of another Corsa Extra so I was pretty sure I could just pop it in and off I went. Oh well.

Hi Ed,
My Corsa takes an Italian BB. It hadn't even occurred to me that it might be the case so imagine my surprise when the British one I'd bought for it slid straight through! :roll:

As a sanity check, measure the BB shell width. Italian is 70mm, British is 68mm. There may be slight variations, but 2mm would be extreme.

Cheers,
Gareth.

ededwards":3cmu1gv5 said:
The Corsa Extra always has an Italian thread, right? But does shell size vary - the cups on a 600 b/b I had off another Corsa Extra just too small.

A bit confused :?

dbmtb":1f9fxdzz said:
Every steel Mercxx I've had my hands on has been Italian thread.

Exactly, even the mid 70s 531c I had was Italian threaded hence my confusion.

Only thing that I can think of is that the 600 b/b that I thought came out of the 7-11 Corsa Extra was in fact out of another frame - but the groupset on the bike was 600 throughout so seems weird as I definitely swopped out the b/b when I fitted a Campag chainset. Oh well, one of lifes little mysteries I guess.

Not all frames built in Meise had italian threads... and a series with british BB was also produced (one from mid-1992 was confirmed by EMC)

Latest posts

Back