1989/90 Saracen Tufftrax - Finished!

I struggled on it on the climbs, but downhill it was brilliant. Proper grin inducing... Slight mechanical with that handlebar twisting off the side of the Pike! Unusually quick reactions meaning I didn't eat a floor sandwich! :LOL:

Thanks for all the kind words. Makes the amount of grease in the kitchen sink worth it!

Very nice indeed mate. What a bike to rescue. Hopefully get mine off to powdercoaters in next couple of weeks, then I can get on with the rebuild.
Nice job :)

The Tufftrax was my first ever mountain bike, bought for somewhere near £300 from the bike shop in Tooley Street, London Bridge. Mine was pale yellow and had a chain stay mounted U-Brake, I think, I recall it still having that cable hanger though on the seat stays. I bought it either in 1988 or 1990.

It was stolen once when I was at Uni, and I bought it back off a "man in a pub" for £50 as he said he had "previous" and just wanted to do the right thing....for £50! Eventually it was stolen for good in 1994 again from Uni.

In between thsoe thefts it was also taken by a fellow student in a tit-for-tat pranking spree and a week later I received in back completely disassembled with all parts in a box. I got him back as I moved his entire desk, chairs and drawing board set-up onto the roof of our design studio.

Brings back memories of mine, £325 in 1990 cos it was last years's model, a massive saving of £25! Bought from FW Evans near Waterloo station.
Went to the Lake District on it Easter 1990, you may have seen this photo in the new Sarcen catalogue................

Attachments

• Top of Honister Pass - Easter 1990 m.jpg
    Top of Honister Pass - Easter 1990 m.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,480
Glad to see that people who owned bikes like this from day one are enjoying the resurrection of this one..

I just wish the frame on this bike was a little bigger. It'd be a regular rider if that was the case.

Back