mid 80s Duell 531P

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hello people

This is my mid 80s Duell 531P :) The bike originates from before Jan (van Dalen, the builder) started giving names to his various models, but it is built with 531 Professional tubing, so I simply call it 531P.

The picture shows the bike pretty much as how I got it a month or so ago. I only changed the dirty white tape for Pelten white-blue fade tape. The age of the bicycle I derive from frame construction details and parts. Groupset is Nuovo Record with c-Record brake levers and Simplex shifters. The Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 rims are of course a decade younger.

The bike is very light and will be even lighter when I have added the new wheels :) I have period correct wheels ready for it: smooth Ofmega cartridge bearing hubs laced to Mavic G40 rims.

Maybe I consider 1 or 2 more modifications. Going for Record Deltas could be one of them. Would result in a slight weight increase again however.

5184380302_4809507684_b.jpg

5184381558_798c520790_z.jpg

If I was lucky enough to own it I would keep it Nouvo Record. I've never seen the appeal of Delta brakes though so I am biased. I think the G40s will be a great match for the rest of the bike and make it perfect.

Mark.

Thank you for the kind words

There is something to say with sticking to the Nuovo Record callipers. They are easier to work with in daily use. I like the idea to use this bike as rider, as riding is were the Duell is good at.

From an aesthetic point of view Deltas would match well with this kind of paint. I think that with the paint it was a little ahead in time on the frame construction and detailing. For example lug cut outs and flat crown are more a representative of the Nuovo Record era. Both could.

Yes son, nice wheels....my kind of machine. When the wheels go on she will be the business. No disguise just purpose. What pedals are you going to put on

I am lucky to have a job lot of Avocet skinwall tyres, so also for the Duell I will opt for the Avocets. Thaks for your suggestion on the seat. I do not have a red Concor, but I do have a red Rolls and a blue Concor. I would think they have a slightly different tone however, but I will hold them next to it. I will do the same with a white Regal and Turbo, as there is white in the frame too.

Pedals: If I recall correctly the Duell came with Looks, but what will come on is Nuovo Record.

Thank you

This Pursuit is another Duell I have and that I hope to build once I found the time for it. It is a 59cm -spot on for me- and it will build into a great rider >> view it on VeloBase.

When searching for old reviews through the site of FIETS magazine I discovered a couple interesting pics >>>

NewsImageBig_16425200792844.jpg

The builder, Jan van Dalen, posing with one of his frames in 2008, when Duell celebrated its 30th anniversary. Under the link you can also view the finished result of the full bike.

Jan's brother, Brady, is professional bike painter. He refinished my black Zieleman and WTB. This is his bike >>

NewsImageBig_95412312008112914.jpg

By clicking on this link you can get a closer look of the paint. FIETS mentions it is a 17.000 euro bike.

Back