Shorter or not?

Hi guys, been a viewer here for some time, spent a little time over on the MTB boards, but come from a BMXing background originally.

A few months back I started thinking about getting into road biking and picked up a cheapish bike off eBay. Now it was advertised as a Shorter, has Shorter decals(although these could have been put on at anytime I appreciate), and seems to be of pretty good quality. It is fairly heavy by road bike standards I guess but it rides very nicely and I think will serve very well as an introduction to road biking for me before I go out spending mega bucks! (which the wife will love!)

My question is, Is it a Shorter or not? I can find very little history on the internet other than the shops still being in existence and the odd frame popping up on eBay. Either way I don't mind as I love riding it, makes me wonder why I didn't start sooner, I just love the low resistance compared to MTB's and BMX's and can eat through the miles like it's going out of fashion.

Bit of info on bike spec.

Sanko 7005 tubing, rx100 brakes, 105 chainset etc. I know this is relatively poverty spec, which is what leads me to think it's unlikely to be a genuine Shorter bike.

So, any ideas? Rough age? And apologies if this is not technically a 'retro' bike, I just have not been able to find any history or info on it.

Thanks, Si.

bce6827e.jpg

70fc809f.jpg

If the style of that steel fork, plus the decals implying use of Sanko aluminium and steel tubing for frame and fork respectively are anything to go by, looks like one of the cheaper Fort road frames re-badged to me (which would put it in the early-mid 2000s; Sanko-tubed Forts were certainly produced around the same time that they built my Columbus Foco 'cross frame of that vintage).

David

The 7005 aluminium alloy suggests it's either the aforementioned Fort or a mass-produced Chinese/Taiwanese frame suitably stickered-up. Aluminium alloys do not generally lend themselves to small scale production, particularly in comparison to the cost of far east producers.

If it is a 'Shorter' then it's a frame that they've bought in and decalled.

A 'proper' Shorter in true classic mould would be lightweight steel built by one of the top London area builders.

A very timely post this as Alan Shorter only passed away a few days ago. A sad loss but he was a good age. Another legend sadly no longer with us. Without him there would have been no Alf Engers to name just one of his protege's.

See here - http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=51960

Old Ned":276h20nh said:
If it is a 'Shorter' then it's a frame that they've bought in and decalled.

A 'proper' Shorter in true classic mould would be lightweight steel built by one of the top London area builders.

A very timely post this as Alan Shorter only passed away a few days ago. A sad loss but he was a good age. Another legend sadly no longer with us. Without him there would have been no Alf Engers to name just one of his protege's.

See here - http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=51960

That is sad news about Alan, I have become aware of him and Alf Engers whilst searching for info on the bike, so will be interested to read through the link you've posted. Both men obviously achieved a great deal in there lifetimes so will be remembered for a long time to come I'm sure.

Back