1996 Litespeed Tellico - Now 16 Ibs 10.7 Oz - Updated Page 4

weight

XTR on a WW project makes me cringe, tis weigh :LOL: too heavy, also the pedals too. Over a pound there, FRM calipers would save 180g and VP Ti pedals another 100g, Rear mech needs to be much lighter. I use a Token Ceramic Ti BB - 88g .
CK headsets are heavy too and high stack, plenty at 60g and as stated chop the steerers.

Re: weight

Wold Ranger":2bfqgw9y said:
I use a Token Ceramic Ti BB - 88g

:shock: including an axle? got a link to these BB?
Lightest Token I can find on the web are Ti ISIS @ 140g :?

#Isis

US import off fleabay US site, bike shop bankrupsy, bearings save the weight and were retro fitted, its 104 mm Isis with carbon shell and dry ceramic bearings, Price? Don't ask!!!!

Re: weight

Wold Ranger":y6kugqif said:
XTR on a WW project makes me cringe, tis weigh :LOL: too heavy, also the pedals too. Over a pound there, FRM calipers would save 180g and VP Ti pedals another 100g, Rear mech needs to be much lighter. I use a Token Ceramic Ti BB - 88g .
CK headsets are heavy too and high stack, plenty at 60g and as stated chop the steerers.

Trying to keep it as 'in 1997' style as possible really, but with a nod to the weenie world, just as I did bitd. 

Happy with the xtr stuff on there and it will stay, as most of it is pretty lightweight and more importantly works well (could save 60g by going with dura-ace mechs)

Will get the exustar ti pedals no doubt to get this to 16.9 Ibs and maybe a 12-27 DA cassette, happy with the cranks/bb/ck stuff though.

Trying to keep it as 'in 1997' style as possible really, but with a nod to the weenie world, just as I did bitd.

Personally this is why I like it so much.

Anyone can throw money at a weight weenie project and buy the very lightest kit, but tricking and modding existing/period kit is far cooler :cool:

Cut the steerer down 5mm & lose a spacer.

Lose the valve caps!

Your chain could be shortened by one more link.

Get a plastic Dia-Compe Aheadset cap & get out the dremmel.

Got to be 60g there!

;)

Some changes...

Now down to 16.84 Ibs (or 16 Ib and 13.4 Oz if you prefer) not re-weighed bike, but used substitution as per below:

Minus Conti MTB Lite Tubes x 2:
IMG_0407.jpg

Plus Foss ETF Tubes
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

= 102 Grams saved

Minus HG80 11-28 Cassette
IMG_0570.jpg

Plus Dura Ace 7700 11-27 Cassette (Swapped 11 Tooth from above Cassette)
IMG_0841.jpg

= 42 Grams saved

Probably just the Exustar PM25Ti Pedals to go to take it to 16.69 Ibs (16 Ib 11 Oz)

All parts substituted are going to be re-used on my Trek so no wastage!

27 teeth. I can see why you have a granny ring. I couldn't go up climbs on a 27.
I've added 6 oz to my kestrel with proper winter rubber on the rear.
Should have 'weight weenie' meet in the summer.

Hoping to loose 3 oz on the wheels soon.

Yep, 27 Teeth, I have been on 24 front and 28 Teeth for years and never had a problem with being able to climb steep 'uns, ratio wise, its 0.8" inches higher than it was before, so will give it a try and if not change back.

Up for a London/South East weenie meet (that sounds dodgy!) in the summer.

Back