I Fancy An (On-One) Inbred - Modern content

Hi Mark,

Sheep thing? Anyone who frequents STW will know what I mean. As has been said they are excellent value, although this is reflected in the quality of build and finish...

Just as above I would prefer something a bit 'different' - but if you want the basis of a (brand new frame) hack bike then for the money there is not much else at that price.

My main bike is now a SS Chameleon - frame was an old US made original and was well used but only cost £80.

There are endless second hand frames out there for under £100 and IMHO I would rather have a more interesting second hand frame over a cheapo brand new one any day.

I am building a modern bike for winter riding and I looked at them too . They did not have that special thing which makes you want to buy one .

I found a gary Fisher on STW for half the price and a lot nicer .

I've owned a 16" On-One steel inbred SS (much to small for me, but a laugh to hoon about on) and a 20" Tinbred SS (fit well).

The steel one handled nicely, and for the money I paid I can't complain - heck, I sold it on after a couple of months for a profit.

The Tinbred did less for me - at that money you're comparing it to boutique steel frames, which will have better quality control and cosmetics, and likely better ride quality.

For £125 for a steel Inbred I don't think you can go wrong. You're probably getting about what you pay for, but not a bargain compared to a s/h frame.

Rock Lobster TIG Team SL in Easton Ultralite are £299 new or less than half that if they come up on eBay. They weigh in at 3 1/4 lbs. The same frame in Reynolds 853 is 4 1/2 lbs and the same prices.

Max P":5ecsresg said:
Hi Mark,

Sheep thing? Anyone who frequents STW will know what I mean.

Unfortunatley STW is a site I don't have the patience for - always crashing. :evil:

I am starting to wonder about the sheep connection with this site - especially reading some threads :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:

Anyway back to the bike...........

If you had of bought my sunn exact frame for half that price, you would of had a lovely retro modern build ;)

iain

elma":1ijnnr52 said:
If you had of bought my sunn exact frame for half that price, you would of had a lovely retro modern build ;)

iain

Oh Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is a lovely frame I have to say . :D

Max P":1tf7mvfi said:
Sheep thing? Anyone who frequents STW will know what I mean. As has been said they are excellent value, although this is reflected in the quality of build and finish...

To be honest the 'sheep thing' reaction is getting as common and tedious as the 'inbred thing' . . . tho' with good reason, as they are (as Max says) cracking value. They don't all have to look the same either . . . although I was a little disappointed when red was chosen as the new Inbred colour ;)

If you want something cheap to build with long travel forks, disks, risers etc to be trashed round places like the Peaks/Lakes etc I reckon you'll not go far wrong with an Inbred.

Although they're built of gas pipe the geometry seems ok and the frames are a tool for a job. They are almost cheap enough to be disposable too. Know a few with on-ones. They all reckon they're nothing special but work.

Was looking for a relatively cheap 'new school' hardtail a while back and considered an inbred. Ended up with a pipedream which is similar - almost the main deciding factor was the frame wasn't a on one :? The frame is built of plumbers left overs like the inbred and the ride is pretty non descript but I can chuck it down anything without caring.

On the flip side if you're looking at a lightweight build with a shorter or rigid fork for general xc duties I'd concur with the others and go for something 'nicer', retro and second hand.

John":2w40xmi6 said:
If you want something cheap to build with long travel forks, disks, risers etc to be trashed round places like the Peaks/Lakes etc I reckon you'll not go far wrong with an Inbred.......... The frame is built of plumbers left overs like the inbred and the ride is pretty non descript but I can chuck it down anything without caring..

thats exactly why I bought mine - no rarity value, no emotional attachment, I can use it in sh*tty conditions without caring about it (not that I've ridden it yet - love my retro rides too much)

Latest posts

Back