Is there a better cable operated disc brake than the BB7?

kaiser":k7vt0wfk said:
I believe that both pads on BB7's actuate when you pull the lever rather than just one pad moving and pushing the disc over to meet the other pad. I think this improves set up, feel, clearance and modulation. I've no real experience with cable discs though, simply internet chat I've picked up on. The hydro vs cable topic is a popular one with the BB7 often being cited as almost as good a hydro!
As above-not really experienced with cable discs but i would probably go with them given the large amount of positive reviews theyve had.

I didnt know the bb7's actuate both pads :? ive always felt this was their big failing,only having one side move.
Bugger,a pair of bb7's were up on gumtree recently for fifteen quid :x

dyna-ti":1uced61z said:
I didnt know the bb7's actuate both pads :? ive always felt this was their big failing,only having one side move.

They don't - only the outside pad moves, hence the importance of setting the inner pad up as close to the disc as possible (without drag, obviously).

I've got one on the front of that old Kilauea that lives out in Greece - it's used with a 180mm disc and I can't fault it. Perfect one finger braking from any speed.

You know Kaiser, I believe only one pad moves on the BB7-it has only one piston, as do most all cable operated disc brakes-BUT it has ADJUSTERS for both pads so you can move both the fixed and the moving pads close to the rotor. They are larger brake pads than a lot of other cable disc systems, so that helps them also. :D

FairfaxPat":3a2ilez7 said:
You know Kaiser, I believe only one pad moves on the BB7-it has only one piston, as do most all cable operated disc brakes-BUT it has ADJUSTERS for both pads so you can move both the fixed and the moving pads close to the rotor. They are larger brake pads than a lot of other cable disc systems, so that helps them also. :D

:oops: that does sound alot more likely. I think I may have confused the adjuster bit, soryy cyfa! :oops:

My 1998 Cannondale f900 had early Magura Louise hydraulic disk brakes. Only one pad moved and the other was fixed. Worked well but was quickly overtaken as disk brakes became more popular and cheaper. Plus they used a 5 bolt disk fixing which became obsolete overnight.

The Kooka ones are alleged to be better than BB7's..

And, for under £50 a pair (including rotors), well worth a shot..

I managed to score a brand new front one for one of the littluns bikes and it's a considerable improvement over the previously fitted grimeca one (which, truth be told, wasn't that bad)

Back