Help me keep my feet warm!!

jimo746":31jf8i98 said:
Has anyone tried the Sealskinz Ultra lights? they look to be ankle height and more intended for cycling.
Tbh I wear shorts for 99% of the year, it's only my feet that feel the cold, so ankle height socks would work better for me IMO

Yeah they are what I use in my Sidi doms. I ride all winter ( as long as its not raining when I start out ) feet always warm and dry.

As I can't stand SPD's anything but very tight, I have a second pair, 1/2 size bigger to take winter socks. Seems extravagant but they obviously last twice as long as one pair. Also have sports insoles in winter ones. They help but I think any shoe with a metal plate sole will tend to be cold.

I have just got a pair of seal skinz gloves. They feel cold and clammy when dry and freezing if damp. Are the socks different?

I got to a snowbound Dalby last winter an realised that I had forgot my boots. I bought some of those Endura overboots in the shop at the trailhead and slipped them over a pair on Converse sneaks and regular socks. I have to say my feet have never been warmer. I really didn't want to take them off.
Good choice if your budget won't stretch to winter boots.

I went out the other evening with my new thick merino wool socks and Specialized Defrosters. My feet got very cold and very wet even though it wasn't that cold or even raining. :cry:

Next step is to get some Sealskinz and/or some Toastie Toes heat pads...

I currently use a pair of Poohbahs with Sidetrak overshoes and Sealskins.
lovely dry and warm.
Alas frequent riding means that the poohbah's are still dampish for the next ride (around the bottom edge of the overshoe where water and mud creep in) and if you want to/have to ride everyday they wont dry out fast enough without severely damaging them/shortening their lifespan.

So i too am on the lookout for a pair of dedicated winter shoes/boots to share the load.

Shimano MW80
Specialized Defrosters
or Northwave Celsius

or a second overshoe, spd boot & sealskinz combo (if Nike still did poohbah's this would be my choice)

I've just sent back a pair of Sealskinz mid thermals as they were too thick to wear in my cycling shoes (spds or flats). It was compressing my feet to uncomfortable levels.

I've now ordered sealskinz lights and their merino liner socks to see if they fit better.

Thanks chaps, swmbo has agreed to buy me some of the Sealskinz ultra lights for Christmas. So only a few more weeks of cold soggy feet to go!

I've not long bought some Endura mt500 overshoes and combined with thick socks my feet are always toasty and dry. One of the best £25 I've ever spent.

Back