Spec me some rims.

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I'm currently a bit stuck. My late 70's Peugeot currently wears some rusty and lightly buckled chrome Chromix rims on a 40H flip-flop hub. I really like the way this bike rides so I'm keen to replace the rims and make it more ridable. For ease of tyres I'm going to switch to 700c and swap the flip-flop hub to a 36H, and keep the old 27's as garage art, I mean spares.

The problem is the style of rims. Because it's an old bike I'd quite like to keep a simple shape rim in polished alloy, but all the rims these days seem to be a modern aero or semi-aero section in an anodised finish. The closest I've found is Rigida Chrina in a polished finish, but even these are a bit too modern looking.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of some that will look right on the bike? What was used back in the day?

Jonny69":2hj7oh3j said:
I'm currently a bit stuck. My late 70's Peugeot currently wears some rusty and lightly buckled chrome Chromix rims on a 40H flip-flop hub. I really like the way this bike rides so I'm keen to replace the rims and make it more ridable. For ease of tyres I'm going to switch to 700c and swap the flip-flop hub to a 36H, and keep the old 27's as garage art, I mean spares.

The problem is the style of rims. Because it's an old bike I'd quite like to keep a simple shape rim in polished alloy, but all the rims these days seem to be a modern aero or semi-aero section in an anodised finish. The closest I've found is Rigida Chrina in a polished finish, but even these are a bit too modern looking.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of some that will look right on the bike? What was used back in the day?

SJS Cycles has these box-section Rigida rims;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rigida-700c-(622)-alloy-road-rim-silver-32-hole-prod17916/

Judging by the style of label they look distinctly NOS although only exist in 32h drilling.

David

I think they are what I'm trying to get away from unfortunately. I want narrow but I don't want the satin anodised finish or the angular section.

I want them to look like this ideally, but narrow like a later 700c rim:

694160626_fba3ad476b_z.jpg

Jonny69":2rz00uxl said:
I think they are what I'm trying to get away from unfortunately. I want narrow but I don't want the satin anodised finish or the angular section.

I want them to look like this ideally, but narrow like a later 700c rim:

694160626_fba3ad476b_z.jpg

Best option in that case is probably biding your time and seeing if any earlier versions of Mavic MA2s (certainly, up until the early 90s they didn't feature satin anodising) pop up on eBay.

David

Definitely thinking 36 holes now, I won a 36H hub on eBay!

Those older MA2's look a bit more like it. I have some nice profiled ones on my later Raleigh that would look fine, but no idea what make or model they are.

Latest posts

Back