Advice please Dura-Ace

Klein-Mad-Chris

Retrobike Rider
Picked this up at the weekend, to big for my girlfriend so its going to have to be sold.

I think the frame is about 5 years old but i think the Dura-Ace parts are older, all in good condition

Just wondering is there the same following for these parts as the M900 XTR components? Would it be worth selling it all seperatley?

Anyone know what model brakes and hubs these are.

Ch.

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

odd mix there...

the hubs are Mavic 501s, freewheel not casette. i have a set that are easily the smoothest hubs i've ever laid hands on...every bit as nice as phil or record.

do i count 7 cogs on the existing freewheel? how does it shift with the DA 8spd brifters?

brakes are (obviously) campy monoplanar. i'd guess athena or chorus.

DA 8spd (7400 series) brifters, chainset & rear mech. i don't think it's quite as collectible as the M900 stuff...works great though!

fyi.

Because road riding has a longer history, this era of kit tends to be seen as simply 'old' rather than classic in the way that 60s and 70s Campagnolo kit is.

From that perspective, the difference between selling it as a bike or in pieces will be less than for a nice vintage mountain bike. There might be good reason to do so though, because the parts and frame are, as has been noted, a bit of an odd selection.

I suspect it was someone's winter bike, built with a well-considered selection of spare bits. As has been noted, I especially like the wheels. If they'd been GP4 rims or similar I'd have had them off you!

Chris - I'd have said those brakes are Campagnolo Chorus and the Dura-ace is RD-7400 which is 1990 ish. If you split I'd definately like the STi gear/brake levers - I'm suprised tehy work on taht 7spd freewheel though.

Nice frame too - shame it's small!

Dura-Ace 7400 spacing was 5mm like Campag 8 speed and like 7 and 8 speed Aris freewheels.

The STis are only compatible with the 7400 rear mech, which is only compatible with 7400 series STIs.

There are plenty of people who'd want that kit, but they won't want to pay much for it.

Gimme a shout if you want to sell the wheels though - they'd be sweet on my Alan Cross bike.

As above, really nice stuff but not really old in road bike terms where you'd need to be going towards the time that most of us were born to get in the real money!

That said that Dura Ace stuff would look great on an early 90s bike and there's quite a few people who prefer 8 speed for cross so you might get some interest. Wouldn't expect super high prices though.

I've got a 7400 Dura Ace mech working perfectly with Sora STIs and an Ultegra cassette. It took some fettling though...

Back