Help Needed..........Nishiki content

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi all
picked up a new project today. it's a nishiki mystic of unknown vintage. guessing early 90's. really beat with probably very little in the way of original components on it. i have no pictures as of yet so will provide a modest description. first and foremost, it is an elevated chainstay model. looks like the nishiki alien's ugly cousin. :LOL: colour is white with lime green accents including rigid front fork and stem. :shock: has a shimano u-brake on rear and some unusual looking shimano front brakes. i have used search on this site with no luck and even a google search turned up nothing. no luck on bikopedia either. any help, pictures, info etc would be appreciated.
thanks all
Retro Roy

hi
here is a picture of my nishiki mystic. hope it prompts some replies. info? comments? opinions? suggestions for components?
thanks
roy

Attachments

• mystic_before%20sm.jpg
    mystic_before%20sm.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 4,203
nishiki

firstly, i like that frame and fork! looks good and retro.

i would start with flat bars and keep the silver/natural component thing going. deore DX 650 would be suitable as a 21 speed setup, for example.

you have a good base for a good mtb there. remove the parts you definately dont want to keep then, stand back, take another look...go from there.

good luck.

hi
thanks for the input so far. 130+ have read this and so few comments. :oops: the cranks on it definitely gotta go!!! any one else have comments? has no one else ever heard of this bike? hmmm i can't believe it is the only one out there. i would like to know what components came on it originally. i visited my LBS this weekend. old guy there remembers seeing one way back when but doesn't rememeber a thing about it. since paint is in such bad condition i think this is going to be my frankenbike. all my mismatched bits from `the bin'. get it rolling at least.
roy

Mate, it's not a Nishiki. Must have had a respray & new decals @ some stage. Nishiki never did u-brakes, mono-stays or straight dowb-tubes. Cool project none the less. Have fun with it!

hi
thanks for the input. Arran, you could very well be right. which would explain why i can find absolutely no reference to a nishiki mystic anywhere on the internet. it doesn't exist. it is very convincing though. and i find it hard to believe someone in these parts going to all that trouble of painting and decaling it up. it would have to have been done quite some time ago too. it looks very authentic. i did fine a thread on another mountain bike forum where someone said nishiki had a whole line of e-stay bikes int he early 90's. so i haven't lost a faith that it isn't original yet. and i will be keeping it as is. just getting it to work again.
thanks to all
roy

Back