Using canti levers on vees

I got a ride using Kooka Racha canti levers on XTR V's and they are a bit spongy...don't have clearance issues, though my rims are very true (might rub if rim is not straight)...and yes, there is quite a bit of cable to be pulled. Combo works OK, but not nearly as well as a proper V lever/brake match.

My $0.02

It is my understanding that the V-Brake requires more cable pull because on a canti pulling 10mm of cable pulls both arms equally, 10mm on each side of the straddle wire, because they are yoked together.

On a V-Brake the cable has to pull one arm, and the outer pushes the other. This means that 10mm of cable pull moves each arm 5mm.

The greater mechanical advantage required of this means that the pivot point of the lever has to be sited nearer the bar.

I have used canti levers on V-Brakes but was never happy with the feel, though they were powerful!

The Shimano SLR system for canti's (as used on all rapidfire lever combos) has a moving mount for the barrel end of the wire. The pivot starts off a long way from the barrel (bringing the pads onto the rim quickly) and as the lever progresses the barrel gets closer to the pivot giving more power and modulation. This also makes them sort of useable with V-Brakes, but only, as said before, on super true wheels.

I often wonder this too. It sounds to risky. Just depends how much you value your life. It's not a nice feeling pulling on a brake lever and nothing or not much happens. And that back of a bus or that tree is getting closer :shock:
I'm having to ride my work bike with only a back brake until i sort out the fronts, V or canti? Or mix it with travel thingy that allows use of canti levers with V's. Or can i wait till my Maguras arrive in the post?

I'm running LX canti levers with DX V's on my RTS and to be honest, performance is better than with the original LX canti's.
I am sure that if you fiddle about to set them up correctly, you can get the performance your after. Yes, they will take more time than with canti's, but it is worth it.

I have nearly always run V brakes with cantilever levers. Found no other way to get a decent amount of power. :twisted: Previously I had run the cannondale force 40 system, worked very well once you had got it set-up. :roll: Changing to a full system of V brakes showed no power increase and all it did was remove the softness.

I run XT V-brakes with SS5 levers and they are a bit squidgy but it does make them very controllable and powerful. As a few people have already said you do need wheels that are very true and it can be difficult to unhook the straddle wire to take the wheel out! :evil:

HTH
Ed

Back