Using canti levers on vees

Chris

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just got some pauls v-brakes and waiting on a set of kooka racha canti levers. What is the best way to make them compatible or should I just get some correct levers :?: Cheers Chris.

well I used Avid Ultimate canti levers on Arch Supreme V's and they did work, but were very spngy even when adjusted for reach at the lever.

Avid sort of said tehy were fine for either, but when the Ultimate V lever came out there was no turning back put it that way.

Some seem to work, (helps if you can adjust the lever's pull) but they aren't perfect. You don't get the full benefit of the v's in my experience.

:)

and you need perfect wheels as you need to have the pads very close to the rim .

I'd say get the correct levers.

Any combination of the Kookas and the Paul's will be a compromise and not work particularly well which is a shame with such lovely levers and v's

I'm running Kookas and avid v-brakes on the rear of my girlfriends bike without adverse effects. Seems that kookas have a longer pull than most!

pete_mcc":qr0svm8x said:
I'm running Kookas and avid v-brakes on the rear of my girlfriends bike without adverse effects. Seems that kookas have a longer pull than most!

That's really interesting and sounds like it might be worth setting it up and seeing how it goes.

I'd have thought it would be much less than ideal but hey, if it works well that's all that matters.

the adaptors sit where the noodles would. i actually think they look better than noodles.

OKAY - Dumb question from a devout SS-7/987 User...

Why are Canti Levers and V's incompatible by default?! does one require more 'cable travel' than the other?

Will Palmer":witny1kl said:
does one require more 'cable travel' than the other?

That's it, my understanding is that the v brake requires more cable pull than the canti. For road bikes there's even a specific drop bar lever (Dia Comple 287v) for use with v brakes - although in my experience over a two year period they doen't work that well and are sensitive to set up.

That said from above it looks like incompatability with flat bar levers isn't always an issue so I guess it is worth trying if you have a set of v's and some (in theory) canti levers

Back