1994 Pine Mountain

hamster

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
HI - great site.

Here's a pic of my 1994 Pine Mountain. I built it from a bare frame from new, so it's always been nonstandard.

The frame was looking pretty shabby so Chas May of deMayo realigned the hanger and resprayed in a blue flam about 5 years ago. The paint fades to a gunmetal at the back to hide muck from the chain.

It's always been a seven speed, still with Deore thumbies.
Fork: Marzocchi Z3 (1997 I think)
Brakes: Magura HS11
Seatpost, bar ends, saddle: Bontrager
Chainset: Sugino Mighty 900
Wheels: 217SUP grey on Deore LX (1992 on the back, on its 4th freehub body), 1997 parallax front.

The bike's been my trusted friend for years, in Scotland, The North Downs, jungles of SE Asia (I moved for a while to Singapore) where it was nibbled by monkeys and my regular ride was past a "beware of the crocodiles" signed path...and now the New Forest.

Please forgive the lights - I enjoy night offroading best in the summer.

Attachments

• Pine Mtn 1.jpg
    Pine Mtn 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,499
Yep, you've got a nice hardtail there. The old Marin's go on forever. Nice that your using the old Deore thumbies, they were the best ;)
BITD, in a really muddy race and the indexing went, you could crank them over to manual and grind your way through the gears! :LOL:

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":255sil10 said:
The old Marin's go on forever.

Unless it's my mate's Marin Team, which snapped at the headtube/downtube section on one of the trails in the Queen Elizibeth Country Park, not the most severe of terrains.

Unless it's my mate's Marin Team, which snapped at the headtube/downtube section on one of the trails in the Queen Elizibeth Country Park, not the most severe of terrains.

(((ahem))) ok, most go on forever! ;)
Thats a bit bad given it was a Team rig. I could half understand if it was one over the lower end and it was being hammered, but not a top end one :shock:

I thinkthat the problem was precisely becasue it was a top-end one...and they had shaved just a little bit too much thickness off. The weld probably caused a local thinning of the metal as it melted in the vicinity of the weld

That's why craft framebuilders don't weld.

It could probably be repaired by a framebuilder by fillet brazing. I doubt if it would cost that much either.

It's a bit late now, Marin replaced the frame (back in '96), it was only 8 months old.

The frame broke off about 20mm from the weld, roughly where the heat effected zone would be from the weld.

It was one of those funny moments, he turned right and carried on in to the bushes, got up, blamed the semi slick tyres for not having any grip :LOL: then noticed that the frame was broken. He was always banging on about Aluminium frames being fragile and how steel was the only way to go, we didn't take the p*ss too much.

Sounds like a stress concentration either from around a cable stop or the end of the frame butting (where it went from the thick end to thin.)

Either way, a dodgy design!

Luckily the Pine is a bit less trick so clearly robust enough!

Nice :) I've just rebuilt a mid 90's Pine mountain, had the frame vapour blasted and started from that, the only part that is original now (other than the frame) is the rear cassette lol! Still got ALL the original Deore DX parts though :D

Latest posts

Back