Sachs/Peugeot question

NickD

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've picked up a road bike for my other half as a christmas present, a Peugeot with Sachs Aris rear mech and shifters, an 8 speed block, and a Shimano front mech.

The current shifters are downtube mounted, and I would like to change over to brifters for her, but what is going to index with Sachs? Does anyone know if they went with Shimano, Campag, or their own way entirely.

The bike itself was a bit of a lucky find, she is only 5ft tall, and finding a bike small enough for her to have comfortable standover has not been easy, but this is a small (16") frame with 26" wheels. Finding tyres might be a challenge though.

Depends how fussy you are.

What hubs and block are on there at the moment? (cassette or freewheel?)

I'm not that fussy, but she is :LOL:

I haven't had a good look to see if it is a cassette or freewheel, I'm suspecting cassette though. It looks good quality and has holes in some of the teeth, a lot like a late 90s XT cassette I have. The hubs are unbranded and black, unbranded q/r too and Vuelta usa/Airline rims.

AFAIK Sachs mechs will work satisfactorily with Shimano shifters.

Finding some 8-speed STIs of better than bog-standard that aren't worn out, will pose a big challenge though. They are in short supply.

Just swapped out a wheelset that had a sachs 8 speed freewheel that worked with campy record ergos no problem.

I think Sachs have a different cable pull ratio to either campagnolo or shimano (around 1.6). You should be able to pick up some sachs brifters as they pop up every now and then.

You could always have a Shimano or Campag hub built into the rear rim.

I think tyres are available as they are used on Junior sized race bikes.

Back