Sunn Urge 98

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sunn Urge 98

I bought this at a bike jumble a few weeks ago as a frame only. It has been used and has a few marks on it, but is straight a nice, small sized frame. Frame number starts S98, and is just about readable under the paint.

I also bought a set of sus-forks at the same jumble, but quickly changed them for a set of Rock Shox Darts. Then, I changed them again, for some more Darts. At this point, nothing had yet been attached to the bike and it needed a tidy.

So a quick wash / clean and whilst its not going to be tidiest of things, it will work and give the intended recipient years of fun, hopefully.

Spec will be based around some earlier 7 speed LX kit which I have from another bike I am redoing longer term. The reason for keeping things relatively simple is that its going to be for my son, and throwing a lot of money at a bike for him will not make him any happier, plus I have spares and as and when things need a refresh, they will probably be upgraded.

Before Pic - on arrival:

Attachments

• DSC01967.JPG
    DSC01967.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,204
JeRkY":29pwxtfd said:
DA-EVO":29pwxtfd said:
Thread detailing Sunn Urge '98

More details to follow...

Surely thats a 99?

After your post, I did check for the Serial no as I had found it but not read the number. It checks out with the 1st digits as 'S98'.

Fitted the Dart forks yesterday and starting on a few other bits today. I bought a short stem, found some straight bars stored, spare mechs and so on.

I am going to probably steal some tyres from my Dynatech for a few days, or perhaps just drop the wheels over whilst I get some sorted.

The Intended wheels are:

Deore LX 7 speed, HG cassette.
Stainless DB spokes.
Mavic X317 rims.
Security Skewers

Pic of Forks:

Attachments

• DSC01990sml.JPG
    DSC01990sml.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,166
the frame is in 1999 guise but its quite common for sunn frames to actually sport a "one year later" paint or stickers compared to the production year of the frame which is stamped on the bottom bracket ;)
it is a nice Fuji Stout Light frame

Yup made in 98 for the 99 model year, hence the 999 on decals. Same as my dearly departed softail in its appearance. Lovely looking frames.

Can anyone confirm the seatpost size on these? Appears to measure as 27.0 but can't really find any evidence if thats right or not.

Thanks

DA-EVO":21m8u5ae said:
Can anyone confirm the seatpost size on these? Appears to measure as 27.0 but can't really find any evidence if thats right or not.

Thanks

I doubt that :?
I had an exact of the same year as well as a ti morati , I have a revolt ( same tubing Fuji SL) of 1997.
I have not seen 27.0 seatpost diameters on high end sunns after 1997.
All mine are 27.2 so I would certainly recheck :idea:

bduc61":2r9at3on said:
DA-EVO":2r9at3on said:

Thanks

I doubt that :?
I had an exact of the same year as well as a ti morati , I have a revolt ( same tubing Fuji SL) of 1997.
I have not seen 27.0 seatpost diameters on high end sunns after 1997.
All mine are 27.2 so I would certainly recheck :idea:

I actually didn't want to just try jamming a post in there - but yeah I will give it a go - 27.2 makes things a bit easier as I have spares of them.

Thanks - not long now, starting to get there.

Back