BoTM November 2010 - Carbon Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1988/89 Kestrel MXZ.....

I throw this into the pot, my 1988/89 Kestrel MXZ which is show room condition with period correct original 18 speed XT gears. Seeing this bike in the Freewheel catalogue at the tender age of 16 at a ‘dream on’ price tag the paper round wouldn’t stretch too, I found this near new and thought I’d gotta have it!! What I like about this bike is how ahead of its time this was, unique and futuristic even by today’s standards I think!

Attachments

• Kestrel1.JPG
    Kestrel1.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Kestrel2.JPG
    Kestrel2.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,066
Ok, here goes ... my first foray into BoTM! Here's my Giant-MCM-carbon-to-the-max! I'll start off with a caveat though - I don't know what year the frame is, so can't be 100% sure that it's sufficiently retro. If the consensus is that it's too recent then I'll withdraw it.

It started off as 'Project Superlight' - hence the tyres! - but when the frame showed up is was some way north of the 1100-1200g weight you see quoted for Giant's current XTC - so I decided it would be a giggle to see how much plastic I could hang off it. So far I have cranks/seatpost/bar/stem/brakelevers/bottle cage. I'll try to find a set of the Ergon bar-ends in carbon, and later look out for a set of Spin, Spinergy Spox or NukeProof-hubbed wheels. Then some finishing touches like carbon effect brake shoes. I could switch the transmission to X0 but that would be gratuitous.

As it is, it's a rider - in dry conditions only with those tyres but it's a very quick, responsive machine. I daresay it'll get ripped to shreds, but I'm not that attached to it yet so the cuts won't hurt (much ;) ).

Cheers,
Gareth.

5175584509_0f8d8ac157_b.jpg

5176193260_71260e688b_b.jpg

id say between 98 and 2000. I had one of the first mcm1s painted metalic grey with lighter grey graphics and that was from 97. the coloured ones were later.

Interesting that you say yours is one of the first from '97 - I had the impression that the MCM was available from about '95 onwards. Or did you mean one of the first in the colour scheme you outlined?

stonneyup":3kanclue said:
id say between 98 and 2000. I had one of the first mcm1s painted metalic grey with lighter grey graphics and that was from 97. the coloured ones were later.

Looks a strong and select month. Will be getting the poll up over the next few days. If you intend to enter best be quick!

British eagle carbon pro 92 ish but might be earlier
ALAN built screwed and glued frame and matching forks
built with 93 lx /dx mix
pulstar hubs ,early american ones on fir rims with 1.5" cross country's
fiberlite carbon bars ,syncros stem ,ritchey saddle and post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back