1998 Rockhopper - two bikes in one (dirt drop content)

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked up this Rockhopper f&f on the forum back in spring and built it up as another parts bin build. Then I converted it to 'touring' guise with Mary bars and Blackburn rack but, with a cycle tour unlikely until next summer, I've converted it again... to give dirt drops a try.

All the touring kit (wheels, forks, bars, stem, brifters, grips, all the cables etc.) has been stored away so I should be able to convert it back in under an hour.

Despite the original rigid forks having a whopping ~250mm steerer they still didn't give me the height I needed to I splashed out on some On-One 26ers which remain uncut at 300mm as the drops are almost the same height as the saddle now. Yes, I am a lanky s*d! The new forks have removable rim brake bosses which set the brake much further away from the rim than previously - I had to squeeze some washers onto the pad's threads but they still look odd... work well though.

Other new parts include the Midge bars, Dia-Compe V-brake levers & friction bar end shifters, the 40 dgeree riser stem, loads of spacers, white pedals and a bit of red bling. Also picked up the IRC Mythos skinwalls for about £13 delivered! Switching to drop bar brake levers gave me no adjusters, so I made my own (which sit inline between the end of the cable outer and the noodles) from a couple of rear mech barrel adjusters and stainless M5 nuts.

It's literally just been finished so needs a good test ride, and I'll admit it's funny looking, but I've been trimming and shuffling my fleet around recently and it's nice to have a bit more variety than I used to have. Plus it's just an hour away from going back to touring trim so serves the purpose of two bikes in one.

150334_499918201170_586536170_7660404_6007925_n.jpg

150334_499918221170_586536170_7660407_387553_n.jpg

150334_499918206170_586536170_7660405_5072570_n.jpg

150334_499918226170_586536170_7660408_5631539_n.jpg

33408_449120081170_586536170_6504246_6920732_n.jpg

SPEC SHEET (touring set-up as shown in final photo is in brackets):

Frame: 1998 Specialized Rockhopper with Richey Logic Nitanium tubing and drop-outs

Fork: On-One 26er (or stock)

Headset: Ritchey Logic
Stem: Profile Boa 120mm x 40 degree (or stock)
Spacers: A2Z
Handlebar: On-One Midge (or Mary bars)
Tape: Charge U-Bend (or DMR Zip)

Brakes: Deore V-brakes
Brake Pads: unknown red
Brake Cables: unknown white outers with Fibrax inners (or black outers)
Noodles: Shimano with homemade cable adjusters
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe 287V (or M740 STI)

Barend Shifters: Dia-Compe Powershifters (or M740 STI 8 speed)
Front Derailleur: STX
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT M739
Cassette: Shimano 8 speed HG
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Specialized Strongarm
Crank Bolts: Truvativ
Chainrings: stock
Chainring bolts: stock
Bottom Bracket: stock
Pedals: Wellgo V8 copies (white)

Hub Skewers: Halo (or XT)
Rims: Mavic X517
Hubs: Deore XT Parallax
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC skinwall (for touring I have some Schwalbe Marathons and Bontrager Connections stashed away)

Saddle: Specialized BG
Seatpost: stock 30.4mm
Seatpost Binder: Brand X

Extras: red ano bottle cage & top cap bolts & cable crimps, Specialized bottle cage(s),

Well I love the frame :LOL:

Never seen that many spacers before on a bike! :LOL:

It's a sweet frame and if its getting used then I applaud your creativity. Does it ride like a chopper with those spacers though?

:LOL: not really no, the drops are just a little lower than the saddle height so it's quite a nice low profile position. Takes a bit of getting used to but I'm determined to give it a proper whirl :D

Hats off to you. It just takes some getting used to visually. Sure it'll ride nice.

I'll await the ride report!

Hi

It is a cool looking bike in either guise, I thought I put a lot of spacers on a bike I just did for a mate of mine 17" sus frame, him 6'5" :shock: :LOL:

Which bars are they on the lower off-road pic please :?:

On-One Mary bars in the lower photo; the first four photos show the amount of spacers / steerer needed to get the same grip height as 'normal' with dirt drop bars

Sorry to hijack but the on one website has those bars in their clearance section (or did a few weeks back).

Back