Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

That's a perfect bicycle if ever I saw one! Makes me want to get a mountain bike!

Tell me more about the large purple car...

Ok, long story cut short :LOL:

1st birthday = wooden swing with green powder coated steel brackets. GF doesn't like green. Two cans of yellow smoothite spray later GF happy. Me not so. Sprayed brackets at bottom of garden. Big purple car (2000 individual 7) behind (6ft high) wall at top of garden decided it was going to be a magnet for small yellow dots :-( first noticed when I put the wipers on and it sounded like sandpaper :LOL: my clay bar is now luminous yellow ... :LOL:

WD :D

Edited to say - thanks for the comment :cool:

That truly is a thing of beauty.

Are those Koolstop pads I spy?

I wish I had your patience. I'd have rushed / compromised things by now, just to ride it.

It definitely needs entering into BOTM when it's finished, if ever a bike deserved to win, this does.

WD Pro":2czv6kw4 said:
Big purple car (2000 individual 7)

Nice car, there's a similar purpley-blue E38 near me actually and it's gorgeous, although I wouldn't envy you trying to find someone to mix paint for it if it did get damaged! My dad had a dark silver 1992 740i that went on for 450,000 miles before he sold it (and he only sold it because it got single-digit fuel consumption in city driving, he says it was better in every other respect than the new Lexus GS that replaced it). The E38 was the last of the good looking 7s IMO. The new F01/2s are really awful.

Wrong forum for cars though!

Thanks for the comments :cool:

Neil":2k9lvtbd said:
Are those Koolstop pads I spy?

Well spotted ;-)

Quick klaws - so I can swap pads without messing with the adjustment :D

Picked up some XT levers that kindly donated their shrouds and barrel adjusters - I can now use the two huge end caps that came with the old style XT cables :

DSC05542.jpg

Tip - if the shrouds are discoloured / scuffed an old 3M pad (gone soft) and neat washing up liquid works wonders with a bit of auto rubber care to protect them afterwards :cool:

My 'wide' setup :

DSC05558.jpg

DSC05556.jpg

Stainless frame bosses, nos cables / outers, hard anodised tri dangles, silicon frame protectors etc - took a bit longer than I thought to set up right :LOL:

I am a bit behind with pics - by the time I am finishing I am getting it in the neck as I am normally running late, have somewhere else to be and tools all over the place :oops: :LOL:

Just gear cables to go now ... :LOL:

I think that you are doing an excellent job....but I hope they do not start giving you stick like they did me for having slick tyres....I have them for town riding but they still keep slapping me for it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well it's being built for the road and it's geared for the road - chunky tyres might look cool but not the wisest choice for the bikes intended purpose :LOL:

Even BITD it only wore 1.5" hardpacks with high psi in them ;-) I was gutted when I tore a sidewall and had to put some 'fat' (1.9") smokes on it :LOL:

Back