Doh-forgot to remove freewheel.

faint

Dirt Disciple
Just broke down a rear wheel without removing freewheel first.
Now I have to make a nice clamp so as not to damage my Record hubs.
Unless am I missing something.

Did you ct out the spokes or did you unscrew the nipples? If the spokes are still in, rebuild the wheel and remove. If you cut the spokes, put in the spokes on the non-drive side and try to remove the freewheel. The clamp is the last option.

thank you Citoyen.
spokes still intact.
Out of interest, you say a clamp is last resort. I was going to make a clamp that fitted around the small diameter where the oil (?) hole is.
Is this stil a no no, are these hubs that fragile ?

A clamp is sure to damage the hub.
The easy way to do this is use some old spokes, cut the head (the hub end) off and make a double bend which can be inserted behind the freewheel. Find an old strong rim, and insert a few spokes in both directions, (one direction will do) on the gear side only, doesn't matter if they are loose as long as they will take the strain of turning the wheel.
Use your usual tool for removing the freewheel. Done this many times when hubs were brought in for a rebuild in this condition.

We used to carry spare spokes like this in case they were needed for a quick repair on the road.

If you try to work from the off side you will bend the centre barrel of the hub. If you tried on a solid centre hub the flange would just turn.

Echoing what keithglos said, lace up the drive side somehow
don't put the hub in a vice
if you lace up just the non-drive side your hub will bend or break. I loaned out my regina freewheel tool to a guy who did just that and the hub barrel broke!
Not sure about a central clamp, to do it up tight enough to grip the barrel you would almost certainly mar the barrel

faint":3351s7y3 said:
thank you Citoyen.
spokes still intact.
Out of interest, you say a clamp is last resort. I was going to make a clamp that fitted around the small diameter where the oil (?) hole is.
Is this stil a no no, are these hubs that fragile ?

Since you state that the spokes are still intact, rebuild the wheel and use a normal remover. This is the only way to divide the stress to avoid any problems.

me to wife " have you seen a pair of bike rims I left outside the garage"
wife " what those to hoop things"
me "yeah"
wife "I took them down the tip with the hedge trimmings"
me "$%u?'ht^mns$"

So I'm now looking at 18x2mm diameter pins equi-spaced on "x"-pcd on a flat piece of aluminium, should be able to manage that.

Back