29er v regular 26" fully rigid

Cheers for the advice so far, keep it coming.

kaiser":gev4eeyw said:
What kinda of riding do you see yourself doing with it?

Pretty much this ➡️
kaiser":gev4eeyw said:
enjoy the ride :)

I don't do launching myself off drop offs. I don't like suspension hence wanting fully rigid. I prefer keeping my wheels on the ground. I'm happy out in the open or on the (not excessively technical) singletrack through the woods.

The impression that I get is that the 29er is a generaly more "relaxed" ride. Kind of tortoise and hare. Less agile than a 26" but also less "nervous" as a result. Ultimately they'll get you to the same place in the same time but just in a different way :?:

Weight isn't going to be too much of a consideration as I want to go the Rohlof hub route which is going to make it weigh a bit more. Your comment about chainstays is interesting, how about an estay 29er (kidding).

I've seen a few fat tyred bikes and whilst I am sort of drawn to them I do think they're a bit too much for me.

By the looks of it everything is pointing to a singular :) maybe a peregrine? Ideal for hubs and looks really nice, though designed for drop bars. I'll try to scratch my head and come up with some others. If money is flexible you could look at Pereira cycles and Retrotec and if its even more flexible a Steve Potts would be at the top of the list. Also the new steel Jones is very interetsing. Back in the singular ballpark Salsa should have something suitable too.

Cheers Mr. S,

I looked at Pereira and they're gorgeous but a bit pricey. I am looking in to a UK frame builder for a custom build. I'm in no rush, a few months of research required first.

You allmost have to go custom if you want a steel 29er that's Rohloff compatible. If not you be stuck with tie on cable guides and a speedbone for the hub.
Have a steel Rohloff 29er myself and I love it :D
Make sure you find a builder who understands the 29ers and has experience with Rohloff hubs. Try different 29ers and copy the geometry of the one you like the most.
Good luck,
cheers Roy

Thanks Roy,

They're the things that are putting me off 29ers, custom frame builders experience with them and Rohlof hubs. It would be easier to go for a 26" wheeled builder but there's something about a 29er that's drawing me towards them. I still have plenty of research to do.

the mtbr forum is a fantastic resource if not a little fanatical, I'd pop over there.

Once thing to consider is just buying one as a starting point because of the relative scarcity they hold prices well and you could move it on quite easily.

i believe in fixies":14mn8hiq said:
Thanks Roy,

They're the things that are putting me off 29ers, custom frame builders experience with them and Rohlof hubs. It would be easier to go for a 26" wheeled builder but there's something about a 29er that's drawing me towards them. I still have plenty of research to do.

I know you'd prefer a UK builder but to be honest I'd think you'd better of looking in the US (not sure if your grandfather would agree though ;) )
It really surprises me that no manufacturers offer of the shelf Rohloff compatible steel frames either in 26" or 29"
Just take your time to find something nice....... did you consider a Gates belt drive on the Rohloff
:?: :D

Morning Tad, Ed(orange71) is having a 29er built in the uk, send him a pm and i'll send a pic of a stunning green frame.
Truely a beautiful thing :cool:
I set up a thread enquirering about 69ers :oops: :D its in there if you can find it ;)

Cheers GG, I took a look at the Edelbikes site in your 69er thread (I have so many shcoolboy jokes inside me bursting to get out now...) I love some of the Pacenti frame building components and the fork he's built up with a Pacenti Crown is stunning. He's on my list of possible frame builders, just need to improve my French now.

Yo Eddy, my grandparents were Polish so I'm not tied to a UK frame builder. I am restricting myself to a European frame builder though. I'd want to visit the guy building it, get "measured up" as it were.

Back