Show us your... Overbury's

Sorry Kaiser. I am a bit :oops: to admit I made the guy an offer which he accepted. I have been gazumped like this in the past and it annoyed me!

Still these are rare and it was in Bristol so I thought, if you can beat em, join em!

Don't worry, karma will bite me in the ass if it's knackered! :LOL:

the_duke":11cyl594 said:
The shop (Overbury's) confirmed it was an Overbury's but nothing else.

Yup, sounds like Andy Powell, he doesn't like speaking about his previous work, does he? I've got a real interesting TT frame he built in 1985, no information forthcoming!:

AndyPowellbikeJan2007001.jpg

(Sorry for going a bit off thread)

Good luck with the seat post, try turning the frame upside down & filling the seat tube with Coke or similar acidic beverage. Took about 5 days to work on a fragile road frame I had.

Cab":26d4xk59 said:
the_duke":26d4xk59 said:
The shop (Overbury's) confirmed it was an Overbury's but nothing else.

Yup, sounds like Andy Powell, he doesn't like speaking about his previous work, does he? I've got a real interesting TT frame he built in 1985, no information forthcoming!:

AndyPowellbikeJan2007001.jpg

(Sorry for going a bit off thread)

Good luck with the seat post, try turning the frame upside down & filling the seat tube with Coke or similar acidic beverage. Took about 5 days to work on a fragile road frame I had.

more! more! more pics please!

the_duke":3m11n3xi said:
Sorry Kaiser. I am a bit :oops: to admit I made the guy an offer which he accepted. I have been gazumped like this in the past and it annoyed me!

Still these are rare and it was in Bristol so I thought, if you can beat em, join em!

Don't worry, karma will bite me in the ass if it's knackered! :LOL:

I'm sure you'll do a sterling job after seeing your previous :D

Cab that looks very interesting any more pics/details/thread?

Cab that looks sweet, nearly makes me want to be a roadie. . . . . nearly!

They have a Andy Powell road bike frame + forks up for sale in Bikeworkshop too. Not sure how much they are after.

As for the man himself, think you are right lol. It wasnt exactly a warm welcome / response in there.

When I built my Bigfoot I located the designer in Gloucester, lovely bloke, couldn't have been more helpful :LOL:

It's a TT bike, & not much good for anything else! I'm not really cut out for that sort of work, but did a couple of Bristol South TT's on it which were fun & got some favourable comment, but no real info. Clearance is so tight I have to run a 20 on the back. The 531pro Frame's got some interesting features, like the extended seat tube & internal brake cable routing (check where that noodle exits) so the seat post has to be cut pretty short! the gear cable is also internal, & BB has to be removed in order to feed it into the noodle inside chainstay. It has a 650 front wheel, but a really long head tube & horizontal top tube so no lo-pro advantage, just a shorter wheelbase.The wheels, chainset & seat didn't come with the frame, I just stuck them on to make it rideable. Original parts are pretty interesting, Shimano 600 Canti's, never seen them before! The sawed off seat post was DuraAce, Modolo plastic brake levers & the Sachs Huret mech someone told me is a 'Jubilee' which was popular for testers back in the day; only works across 7 spd, so I've got a later one on their right now. Here's a few more pics, from a couple of years ago as I have to admit right now the bikes hanging up without wheels because I just don't ride it much. I hope the head transfer shows up, it's Bristols coat of arms & you just can't get that transfer anymore so I won't repaint unless I get one!

FS now: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135989

AndyPowellbikeJan2007004.jpg

AndyPowellbikeJan2007006.jpg

AndyPowellbikeJan2007008-1.jpg

AndyPowellbikeJan2007005.jpg

Justbackdated wrote:
Hey Dan,
the Guy in the last photo-is that Steve Devine?-I remember him in the 'Pioneer versus The Rat' article in Bicycle Action BITD.
Nice to know someone else on here was at the Easter Mountainbike Festival at Llanwyrtyd!!

Yup, he featured in a few Overbury's ads at the time and helped design the Pioneer. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but I bought my Pioneer through him. I never actually visited Overbury's.

It was just a happy coincidence that my mate Dudley's parents had a holiday home in Abergwesyn, a few miles up the road from Llanwrtyd Wells, and Steve was living in the town at the time. He was ex-bristol, knew the Overbury's guys well and had some involvement with Gordon Green, Rhodry Thomas and Phil Westoby at the MountainBike centre and later Red Kite Mountainbikes.

If you were riding at the time, you might be able to contribute to my Man versus Horse thread...http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 356013929d

I've been trying to dig up some of the older riders out there, MVH, Fat tyre Five, Wendover Bash, Cross Country Cycling Club etc. from those few years before XC racing and the cyclocross riders took over.

The guys over at the Geoff Apps/Highpath threads might be interested in the 'Pioneer versus The Rat' article. if GrahamJohnWallace
hasn't got it already. I'm thinking of going to the Wendover meeting this year (5th Dec) to see some of their rides. I'll take my Pioneer.

All the best,

Back