1990 Diamondback Ascent - Finished 19/12

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just had the frame & forks delivered today :)

Its in much better condition than the pic suggests and can't wait to get it built but with my only day off taken up with riding and Xmas shopping for the next 3 weeks I'm either going to have to be patient or sweet talk the Mrs into letting me build it in the kitchen :?

Had a pair of those 2 for £10 amberwall Mythos tyres delivered for it yesterday and have all the other parts except for a seatpost

Updates to follow when I get something done to it ;)

DBAscent.jpg

Very nice, I would love a smoke DB one day :cool:

Looks like the same tubeset as my 91 apex which is a great riding bike. Im looking forward to seeing the finished item :cool:

Gravy Monster":1w2jm14d said:
Very nice, I would love a smoke DB one day :cool:
Me too!

And it does look in nice condition, too.
Gravy Monster":1w2jm14d said:
Looks like the same tubeset as my 91 apex which is a great riding bike. Im looking forward to seeing the finished item :cool:
Agreed on all counts - think 89 and earlier may have been Tange, but I think from 90 they went True Temper?

Out of 4 90s DBs:-

91 Apex
91 Axis
95 Apex
95 Apex

only my 91 Apex is probably currently ridable (within about 10 minutes) although hope to have them all built up at some point. My 1st 95 Apex (the only one of the four I've owned from new) is in progress as a proper strip down, clean and polish, then put back together - but has been in progress for some time.

My 91 Axis is what I'd like to get built up next - and like this Ascent, I was really pleasantly suprised about the condition of the frame.

was the ascent the same frame as the topanga ?,with the axis/apex being
next up

it will build into a sweet bike ,always liked steel d/b's

mikee":wky25oii said:
was the ascent the same frame as the topanga ?,with the axis/apex being
next up
If it's True Temper, around that time would have been AVR tubing - quite possibly the same frameset used for the Apex.

Apex and Axis only shared tubing (AFAIK) around 94-95 (True Temper TT-Lite). In 96 the Apex used AVR - not sure about 97, may have gone back to TT-Lite.

Earlier and I would have expected frameset differences between Apex and Axis (certainly in 91, different tubes in Apex, Axis and (slightly) Axis Team).

Not too sure on the tubing, the only decal I have really noticed is on both the frame and the forks saying 100% Cromo, there may be some more details, I will have a look tonight. I'll see if I can weigh it too.

No more decals to tell what the tubing is other than the 100% Cromo one I mentioned earlier.

Got a little bit done to it tonight while cooking tea, Xt cantis, Lx Sti's, bars and 400Lx front and rear mechs fitted.

Having a nightmare with the seatpost though, after having had a wanted ad up for a 26.8mm seatpost for a while I tried the post out of my Tequesta and it way too big :?

Just tried a 26.2 out of my Saracen and it only goes in a few mm so I'm now assuming its a 25.8?

Diamondback001.jpg

chrisv40":3phdje3k said:
No more decals to tell what the tubing is other than the 100% Cromo one I mentioned earlier.

Got a little bit done to it tonight while cooking tea, Xt cantis, Lx Sti's, bars and 400Lx front and rear mechs fitted.

Having a nightmare with the seatpost though, after having had a wanted ad up for a 26.8mm seatpost for a while I tried the post out of my Tequesta and it way too big :?

Just tried a 26.2 out of my Saracen and it only goes in a few mm so I'm now assuming its a 25.8?

Diamondback001.jpg
That's looking really good. Like others have said - there's just something about these DBs especially with the paintjobs like yours. I've never owned one, but the more I see of them the more I want one.

Back