Fox float questions

I have a manual I can send you....

It's not much use though as it doesn't tell you much about servicing.....

When you took the pressure out, did you "pump" it through a few cycles on the frame and depressurise again? It will always bounce back though as there is a negative air chamber which is non-user-servicable.

If you're in doubt about the rubbing on the shock, they're fairly easy to service - and the service kit is reasonably cheap. My Float R had rubbing until I serviced it and then it stopped.

Alternatively - buy a nice Rock Shox Monarch 3,3. Costs the same as a Float R, does the same as a Float RP23 and with much more user-friendly tech backup.

Incidentally also have the pump that came with the Monarch, which hasn't been out of the box as I have another pump already.... Can't give it away (will sell for 2/3 of price on Chain Reaction whatever that is) but I'll stand you the postage if you want it.....

marin man":ez4o2ruy said:
I dropped two in the kitchen and my wife thought it was rat poo :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

it unscrews you know, the bit with float on it unscrews from the end with the valve on it

I may take the pump dbmtb and cyfa.....have you been playing with this shock :roll: naughty boy....tut tut :LOL:

The problem is the size is a little auqward to find but this will be ok when I dervice it.....which bit unscrews and how cyfa :?: explain your self more clearly please :?:

size is common!! ok do you have a vice?
put the top hole (where the valve is) in a vice
then turn the 'sleeve' (which says float on it)
normal thread for this

Firstly it's important to use the right kind of grease. Fox provide some low-viscosity blue grease in the service kit. I suspect Pace grease would also do the trick as it's similar viscosity.

Second - you did pump ALL the air before dismantling. If you only depressurised bypressing the valve there will still be a good amount of air in there with might send the shock flying across the room. I know one mechanic who got bruised ribs because he forgot. And DO NOT DISMANTLE THE NEGATIVE SPRING SECTION UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE TO PAY FOX A LOT OF MONEY TO REASSEMBLE IT.

Third - check all surfaces for pitting/wear. Like you do with your forks.

Fourth - The service kit contains all the o.rings and washers you'll need. You may find the concealed plastic washers hard to get out so be prepared to make your own tool for this - and check for uneven surfaces on them before removal. They may be OK. Photograph before removing the old ones as there's a right order and a wrong order....

Cheers :D came apart easy when de-presurised,absolutley spotless inside so should be ok,and I have some pace grease to so thats good,I think it holds air fine so when the pump arrives I will fit it and see what happens,Cheers guys :D

Back