wheel build - is this feasible

faint

Dirt Disciple
Have a pair of wheels, unhappy Mavic GP4 rims on Campagnolo Record nice big flanged hubs with stainless spokes.
I've been looking for an oppurtunity to build a pair of wheels and am wondering if the Mavi Open Sport would be a direct swap.
The Open Sport seeming to be a nice budget rim to get started with and going onto a single/5-spd bike.
Thanks

You need to check the internal diameter, I assume that what you intend is to tape the rims together and then transfer the spokes across?

If the ID is the same (or within a couple of mm) you should be OK.

that's what I was figuring.
I picked the open sport a. because of value and b. it dosen't seem to have evolved (in shape).
Internal diameter, good idea, see if I can find that out.
Anybody got a tape measure handy.

Classic sprint rims like the GP4 tend to have a much larger effective diameter than modern clincher rims, even relatively shallow ones like the Open Sport. If they're currently built 3-cross, you might get away with going to 4, but I think you'll need to replace the spokes.

one-eyed jim, that's the conclusion I seem to be coming to looking at the online spoke calculator like the one in triniriderz link. An erd of 615mm seems relatively large. Obviously going to have to investigate further.
Or sell the nuovo hubs and look for a complete second hand set.

Large-flange Record hubs are popular in the second-hand market.

If you can track down some older clincher rims you might have a better chance of getting things to work without a change of spokes. The MAVIC MA2 or MA40 and Sun CR18 would probably fit the bill, though you're unlikely to find either except by trawling eBay, and the MAVICs can fetch quite serious money.

I'm in no rush at the moment so I'll sit back and trawl. Need to finish my Raleigh off first and see if anything else comes along which might sway my decision one way or the other.
Thanks for all the responses though, gained some useful information through them.

Tub rims like yours normally need spokes a couple of mm longer than similar clincher rims.

Do the measurements first though.

Back