Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re: MT5

paininthe":3cb5ez5p said:
My new bike

GPS_116.jpg

Would this have been a standard colour? If they where special order, where they custom painted?

just got some information from the original owner and thought it of interest to all

I purchased an MT4 in early ’93 (I think) and at the time I was racing sport at national level and local level racing every weekend throughout the summer. The MT4 was a bonded titanium front triangle black and silver frame and was £350 frame only. Within 4 weeks of picking up the MT4 one of the chainstays became delaminated and good as gold Raleigh replaced the frame, the same happened 8 weeks later. I moaned at this point and told them that I wasn’t a heavy rider and that this was not acceptable. Much to my delight the frame that replaced the second MT4 was an MT5 which is the one that you have now and has clearly not fallen apart like the MT4’s, I can only imagine that the must have used a different bonding process on the Metal Matrix frames. MT5’s were £850 a pop at that time but cutting edge and used by David Baker, Barrie Clarke, Adrian Timmis et al.

With regard to the paint finish I managed to break one of the top tube riveted cable guides and when I took it back to the shop Raleigh said that they would mend it and respray it and I got to choose the colours.

He also added that he originally raced with Pace RC30 fitted and raced it until 97 before swapping to Marin Titanium. A bit of nice history to go with the bike.

Here's my 1992 Raleigh USA Technium 'Peak'; build thread in my signature. :D

Attachments

• RIMG1227.jpg
    RIMG1227.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 2,915
  • RIMG1241.jpg
    RIMG1241.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 2,915
Nice bike. Very Period, Great condition.

Technium was purely a Raleigh USA designed and manufactured product which used different methods and adhesives to UK built Dyna-Tech's from Raleigh Special Products. :)

D nelson":2db0hd2x said:
Like the look of that USA dyna, does it get used much? looks like new!

Thanks - only just built it and been round the block once - will be ridden soon.

bikemeister2000":2db0hd2x said:
Nice bike. Very Period, Great condition.

Technium was purely a Raleigh USA designed and manufactured product which used different methods and adhesives to UK built Dyna-Tech's from Raleigh Special Products. :)

Thanks for your comments and info - was there much collaboration between RSP and Raleigh USA? Did they share any technology or is it just coincidence that they both went for a bonded type design?

Both Raleigh USA and RSP did have some collaboration, but nothing of any real significance came of it. That said, I had the experience of accompanying John Tomac for the day when he came over here to see what we were up to.

Happy days :D

HAPPY DAYS!!

Hay Bikemeister, do you have any photos of your days at dyna tech, maybe you could post them and give us a view from the inside, so to speak.

Back