Does anyone own a Steve Potts?

rody":23kprvy4 said:
As a builder, I tend to be more critical of the typically unseen details of frames...a classic Potts would sit very high on my list of desired bikes............

rody

:shock: I don't know Rody but I've seen his work. When one craftsman says this about anothers frames you have to stand up and take notice.

I've never given a 'Potts' a second glance before and tehy're not my 'bag' but...oh I'll shut up! :oops: :oops:

what are the sorts of things that a master builder will do that lesser ones don't? What are these 'unseen' things? What are those extra touches? I'm not experienced enough to know.

Brownie":31w1p10h said:
I finally registered with Retrobike so that I could reply to this post.

I have a 1986 Steve Potts, which I purchased directly from Wildernes Trail Bikes and picked it up at Mark Slate's house way back when. How much do I love this bike? It is the only mountain bike that have owned or wanted since I bought it. I still ride it all the time and it still rides like a dream. I will post some pictures in the Readers Rides forum very soon.

Where did you see the one that got this post started? I would like to take a look.

Brownie in southern California

welcome! please post pics on mtbr.com too. that's the "official" Potts thread there

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=262480

and another nice one

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=295265

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=229464

the one that Elev12k has posted is in the Netherlands (is it still/again?) and the other one is Steve Pott's personal one iirc.

cheers, carsten

Carsten":1bt5jhb6 said:
the one that Elev12k has posted is in the Netherlands (is it still/again?)

cheers, carsten

Hi,

Yes, it belongs to 'Pottser', a member on several boards (like MTBR VRC)

I have no information he sold it. I can't image he ever would. For as far I know he owns the bike since new. Funny detail is I recently was reading an early 90s article in a Dutch mag on travelling per bike and in the article I saw Pottsers' Potts pictured multiple times.

One of my riding buddies has one, and he no longer rides it as far as I can tell. I keep meaning to get some pix.

Steve is a local guy, and craftsmanship runs in his family. Back when I was in high school, his dad made a quarter-sized violin, for no apparent reason and even though he had never made one. It was too small to play unless you were an elf, but it was beautiful.

In 1982 Steve and Joe Breeze took a mountain bike tour of New Zealand, and they equipped their bikes through the little shop that Gary Fisher and I ran, where we built up Ritchey frames into finished bikes.

Steve came back from the trip a changed man. He had to learn how to build bikes, and he became friends with Tom Ritchey and studied the art from him. They remain good friends to this day, and Steve obviously learned a thing or two.

Steve left WTB a few years ago and now lives in Inverness. No, not that one, but the one in Marin County that is named after the other one.

Steve is featured in "Klunkerz," if you get a chance to see it.

Carsten":17k7t9su said:
Iwasgoodonce":17k7t9su said:
Does anyone have one? What is the ride like? HELP!

i am the proud and happy owner of an old one and it is really a piece of art. but i dont know how it rides - riding this one would be like licking an unstamped blue mauritius and sticking it on an envelope... check on mtbr.com there are a few threads and those who are riding them seem to be pretty pleased. he doesn't make them in steel anymore, only ti so you would have to find an old one.

I'll be giving that bike a run for it's money by weekends end, Carsten. :D

Brownie":1kncn9nf said:
I finally registered with Retrobike so that I could reply to this post.

I have a 1986 Steve Potts, which I purchased directly from Wildernes Trail Bikes and picked it up at Mark Slate's house way back when. How much do I love this bike? It is the only mountain bike that have owned or wanted since I bought it. I still ride it all the time and it still rides like a dream. I will post some pictures in the Readers Rides forum very soon.

Where did you see the one that got this post started? I would like to take a look.

Brownie in southern California

Sooo....its not for sale then? :D

A couple summers ago we spent an afternoon hanging out with Steve in his shop.

He is the nicest person you could ever meet. We got to watch him work on a few frames as well. Truly one of the highlights of my VRC career.

Here's my 1984 Potts, Steve in the background.

sp84sp.jpg

Back