£4,400 for the new Orange 5 SE!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock:
It's not the cost of the frame thats gone up too much it's the full 2011 xtr (minus the wheels) and the fox rlc forks they spec it with thats pushed the price up to £4.400.
You would be able to build the frame up with that spec yourself for less than £4.300. Just worked it out. Good old CRC. Still bloody expensive.

Tallpaul":1qpxnsaj said:
Moving away from all the hyperbole, the 2011 Five frameset is £1400, including a £300 RRP shock. In 2008 the frameset was £1175. We all know that everything bike related went up in price by 20% between 2008 and 2009, so I fail to see where the issue lies? If you can't afford the SE spec, go for the S or Pro. I honestly fail to see how you can credibly use the cost of goods as a criticism of Orange, or any other manufacturer. Lazy trolling, at best.

That's the point I was going to make. The 5 frame actually has not gone up that much in the last few years and comes with a far better shock these days. You've a choice of 4 colours as stock that don't cost extra (more then most companies I'd bet). :roll:

Maybe you should aim your anger towards the likes of Shimano or Fox for the price hike Gee?

As for calling the 5 single pivot crap...... I refuse to take seriously a chap that thinks the Ragley Bluepig is the best bike evereverevereverever! ;) :LOL:

brocklanders023":3sihjw8j said:
Maybe you should aim your anger towards the likes of Shimano or Fox for the price hike Gee?

I suspect the price hike has more to do with the exchange rates.

Prices are going up significantly across the board on bike stuff, components are up and metals are up, I'm pretty sure wages in halifax aren't though.

Never really like the look of the Orange 5 but it does seem to win loads of awards "despite" its obviously too uncomplicated single pivot design.

John":eyyji911 said:
brocklanders023":eyyji911 said:

I suspect the price hike has more to do with the exchange rates.

Guess you're right John and probably the reason the 5 frame has not increased at the same rate.

Im not angry with anything or anyone. i was just stating that the price has rissen nearly 32,000 in 2 years, im not aware that any other bike manufacture has had those types of increases in a model, and they all use Fox and Shimano

Simple fact is that the new XTR and top end Fox forks have gone up loads. The 5 Pro is only a little bit more but has gone from full XT to an XT/SLX mix. I guess that's so it keeps to a certain price point. The SE is and always has been the 5 with all the best parts regardless of price.

Exchange rate is mental. One of my mates works in Japan and he's loving how much stirling he's getting when he sends his money to his UK account.

Dura Ace outer chainring RRP is £190!
For a chainring!

When I used to do a lot of business with Japan the rate was 220 to the pound, now it's more like 130, that's a hell of a way for it to drop. The main reason I gave up importing from Japan.

Prices for the 5 Pro seem to have gone up reasonably aligned to inflation...

My Sub5pro was ~£2250 back in 2002.
5 Pro currently £2800

Factor in inflation and £2200 -> £2700

Only a need small bit of exchange rate and that will more than cover the extra £100 difference.

Latest posts

Back