Rawland Elgokse bullmoose bar / stem combo review.

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Overview

Product Rawland Cycles Elgokse handlebar / stem combination.
Price US$150
Available from http://www.rawlandcycles.com

Welcome to the first in the very occasional series of Retrobike product reviews. First up on test is a Elgokse bar / stem combo manufactured by Rawland Cycles. In case you are wondering Elgokse is Norwegian for bullmoose which given the bars shape is very apt.
The bars bring the classic 80s bullmoose design right up to date. They are constructed from chromed steel, the bars themselves are 700mm (27.5") wide with plenty of sweep and them stem is 100mm plus/minus 6 degrees. The stem is 1 1/8” ahead but the package is supplied with a quill adapter.

main.php

Elgokse bar / stem combo

Living mostly in the 1990s when it comes to bikes my normal bar of choice is the 23” hyperlite, possibly with bar ends. As such I was genuinely interested to log some miles with a wider bar with more sweep. Read on for the full review….

The Review

The first part of the test involved deciding what to fit them on. The obvious applications would be something modern with a heavy nod to the past or on something from the 80s or 90s. I decided to fit these to a modern-ish Pipedream, a bike I’d logged plenty of miles on with regular risers

Once the bars had been fitted it was necessary to set the sweep on the bar. After a couple of quick test rides and after consulting with Sean Virning from Rawland I decided to run the bar swept up into my body rather than flat like a north road bar.

How did they ride? Great! I was a little unsure how I’d find the bars but after plenty of miles I came to appreciate both the sweep and width. The bars shape made for a more relaxed position than the norm - I found the sweep to be really natural. The extra width was also appreciated, given plenty of extra control and leverage over the front end.

The construction of the bars cannot be faulted - fans of well made steel components will not be disappointed. The quality of welding and chrome is excellent and the laser etched logos are a nice touch. As one might expect had no issues with bar or stem slipping during the test.

main.php

Rider's eye view

Click here for more pictures of bars as fitted to bicycle.

Conclusion

A well made handlebar stem combination suitable for both retro and modern machines. The bar / stem works both functionally and aesthetically.

For
➡️ High quality handmade construction
➡️ Durable and Stiff
➡️ Great position
➡️ Price – you can easily spend US$150 on a average modern alloy bar / stem combination – as such these represent good value.

Against
➡️ Lack of stems lengths. Those who a super picky about their position may wish to measure carefully before purchase.
➡️ Ahead only, quill adapter supplied though.
➡️ Stem clamp bolts are rear facing. Potential for knee interfaces.
➡️ Heavy. But really, who’d buy these for a weight weenie build?

Retrobike Rating
8rsforum.jpg

eight out of ten

Not sure on these, glad someones making them but those bolts are hideous and on a more modern bike they look out of place :?

Hi John, really enjoyed the review, and it's very interesting tosee older style products coming out and being updated but...

Please don't be offended when I say this as I had to tell my friend who edits a premier UK bicycle magazine.

Please don't mix metric and imperial, I know I can go to a conversion site, but I don't off the top of my head know how 700mm compares to 23".

My friends mag had the same problem reviewing parts, for example tons of sprockets listed with weights but mixed imperial and metric, so the numbers weren't easily comparable. It's all sorted now though and much better.

Keep it up. Cheers.

Dr.Robotnik":10nag9s4 said:
Please don't be offended when I say this as I had to tell my friend who edits a premier UK bicycle magazine.

Please don't mix metric and imperial, I know I can go to a conversion site, but I don't off the top of my head know how 700mm compares to 23".

No offence taken, good point. Have added the imperial measurement for the bar. Which mag were you troubleshooting for?

look a bit cool john ,but i missed them ,pre 97 is where they should be no?

Back